Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why so many puffer coats??

mmm, yeah I looked at that coat in the "new" items @LTT1 .  That's not a good look for me and I'm not a big fan of sherpa - even faux sherpa so that didn't get more than a passing glance.

I agree with you too. The photo of the green is so much better than the blue. Q's photos of items for sale doesn't do a good job of selling the item.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ellietoo.  Puffer coats have evolved out of necessity.  When I was much younger,  living in Pennsylvania, everybody had a good, warm wool coat.

Now you never see coats of 100% wool because wool has become prohibitively expensive, same for other materials like leather and cotton.  Manufacturers have adapted by using more synethics like polyester and rayon, in an effort to keep the price point affordable for most people.

Look for a puffer with flattering vertical or diagional quilted stitching lines in a darker color with vertical pockets. Some are puffier than others; I like down filled for more warmth with less bulk.  Check out LL Bean and Lands End.

@Kachina624   I have lived most of my life in Pennsylvania.  Many winters have been very cold, so yes I have a few puffer jackets from Land's End.  They are really nice and last forever.  I'm also glad I held onto my leather jackets.  They are beautiful soft leather ...not faux leather like we see today everywhere.  There is no comparison to the real thing.  

Respected Contributor

@ellietoo   Trust me, when winters in Pennsylvania come rolling around being "well padded" is a matter of survival.  Cotton, wool and leather are great here until late December, but when January and February come visiting, we'd freeze to death wearing those.

I don't care if I look like the Michlin Man as long as I don't wind up with frost bite and I don't think anyone around me cares what I look like either.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 

I am guessing that with discussions here this is a moot point. But, I really like clothing that gives a person "shape". Poly usually doesn't lend me any shape...but in the photo of the green plaid, there is shape on the upper area of the coat.

This is why I will miss Candace Cameron Bure's fashions. She seemed to have an eye for this part of fashion. Not always, but especially with many of her first season's offerings.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it gets extremely cold here and it does, I always rely on my 100% all wool full length coats. I also have a 100% wool camel walker that comes to just below the knee. I find that by wearing a solid cashmere sweater with the coats I am more than toasty warm. Do not even feel the cold and wind.

I have around 7 all wool cardigans in various colors that I bought at Appleseed's that keep me very warm paired with a turtleneck. They button up.  Several all wool lined skirts by J.G. Hook bought years ago if I am going to church to wear. They are now vintage. Boiled wool cardigans are another go to for me.

My opinion is nothing comes close to keeping the cold and wind at bay other than all wool.  Again that is just me and not to shed light on anyone else's thoughts or opinions.

Esteemed Contributor

Yrs ago bought a white  down filled  puffy jacket from Nordstroms. It was  nice and warm but I did not like wearing anything black with it because  sometimes the down feather filling would  go through the silk lining . I would have a feather or two stuck to my clothes.

I don'y care for the super puffy coats , but have to admit they are warm . I bought the Dennis Basso TSV  sometime ago that was  long  black puffy coat  that had all black fur with a hood.  That coat is warm . The coat  is reversible but I prefer the fur side as the interior lining .

So now you have the puffer style or the sherpa

Respected Contributor

I bought a white puffer coat maybe 4 years ago from QVC, Gallery New York brand which I don't think is offered any longer. I thought it would be a fun coat to wear for a season or two. It's car coat length and fitted through the waist. I love it and get excited when it's cold enough to wear. I'm not in a cold climate so didn't know they'd been around for so long and thought after a season or so I'd be donating it. It is so warm and has been very nice to wear when I visit cold climates; it also packs nicely because I can smoosh it down to fit in the suitcase. It does take up too much coat closet space, can't do much smooshing there.

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Yrs ago bought a white  down filled  puffy jacket from Nordstroms. It was  nice and warm but I did not like wearing anything black with it because  sometimes the down feather filling would  go through the silk lining . I would have a feather or two stuck to my clothes.

I don'y care for the super puffy coats , but have to admit they are warm . I bought the Dennis Basso TSV  sometime ago that was  long  black puffy coat  that had all black fur with a hood.  That coat is warm . The coat  is reversible but I prefer the fur side as the interior lining .

So now you have the puffer style or the sherpa

@skatting44 I have that same coat. Don't get to wear it often in South Carolina, but on those rare occasions, it does keep me toasty warm...and I always get compliments! I like wearing it "fur side in", too.

As a side note--I am plus sized, pear shaped, and that coat is actually quite flattering for being as heavy as it is!