Honored Contributor

Re: Why are pockets put on the chest?

@Andreatoo I certainly don't have that issue.  I am well endowed on the bottom.  

I'm an Engineer, and so I'm very familiar with pocket protectors that men put in that pocket to protect it from the pen they would invariable put in that pocket.  I don't think I ever saw a woman putting a pen in a chest pocket though.  There weren't that many non-secretarial women around at the time though.  

They are handy, as someone mentioned about, to put your ID or key card in.  If you work in a secure environment, you need to secure your ID in some way when out in public.  A chest pocket is a handy place to hide it from prying eyes. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@darkhomespun     Buy a seam ripper.....it will make your job easier!

@Desertdi 

More than likely it will leave the stitch holes, even after washing because of the thin fabric.  I taught clothing, tailoring, and have designed clothes.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi 

More than likely it will leave the stitch holes, even after washing because of the thin fabric.  I taught clothing, tailoring, and have designed clothes.

@ECBG So you don't advise using a seam ripper?

Honored Contributor

Traditionally, men carried a pack of cigarettes in the breast pocket of a tee.  You'll notice they are just the right size for a pack of cigarettes.   Where else to carry them?  If put in a pants packet, they'd get squashed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

They are of no use to me, especially on a t-shirt. I agree with @Kachina624 that years ago they were used by many men for their pack of cigarettes or with a plastic "pocket protector" for their pens. I've noticed that my DH is only concerned that any kind of pants have a back pocket - but he doesn't care about a shirt with a pocket.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi 

@Desertdi 

Correct.  With all of the bar tacking in the upper corners and all of the stitching, the fabric won't recover.  Seam rippers are best for opening an actual seam up, especially this large one.  Mine is very small.

Honored Contributor

I hate them!  I'm ample enough up on top to not try to bring more attention to the area.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi 

@Desertdi 

Correct.  With all of the bar tacking in the upper corners and all of the stitching, the fabric won't recover.  Seam rippers are best for opening an actual seam up, especially this large one.  Mine is very small.

Why would using a seam ripper to catch the small stitches on the top of the fabric and undo them be any more harmful than using a "little embroidery scissors," as the original poster said she does? I do agree that on many fabrics, either method would leave the obvious outline of a pocket.

To answer the original question, I would guess that some pockets are there because they are traditional on certain garments (a buttondown shirt or a military-style garment, for example), or because they add an interesting style detail to an otherwise plain garment. I don't think there really has to be a "reason."

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Andreatoo I certainly don't have that issue.  I am well endowed on the bottom.  

I'm an Engineer, and so I'm very familiar with pocket protectors that men put in that pocket to protect it from the pen they would invariable put in that pocket.  I don't think I ever saw a woman putting a pen in a chest pocket though.  There weren't that many non-secretarial women around at the time though.  

They are handy, as someone mentioned about, to put your ID or key card in.  If you work in a secure environment, you need to secure your ID in some way when out in public.  A chest pocket is a handy place to hide it from prying eyes. 

@Icegoddess My dad was a naval architect.  Every day when he came home from work in the evening the first thing he did after taking off his jacket or coat was to removethe plastic pocket protector from his button down shirt chest pocket.  LOL!

Though many still used them when DH was working (he's a retired engineer) they did become a bit passe after a while as did wearing a tie.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I am indifferent to the pockets.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York