Honored Contributor

Re: Why are LL Bean tops and sweaters so short?

I think that back in the day (and I mean like 20 years ago and more) their clothing was generously sized, but like everyone else today, they are cutting corners, and everything is cut smaller and shorter, with cheaper fabrics. 

Sign of the time, but nothing is made like it used to be.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

What is too short? Are they belly/crop tops on you? Or do you want your shirts to completely cover your rear end? Where do you want them to hit in the front? Where are they hitting now?

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo they are hitting at the top of my hip. I want my tops to hit below my hip to cover half of my butt .

I am not a big person only 5 ft tall so this should not be a problem, but it is.

Honored Contributor

I think probably because they are not desgined for middle aged and older women.  It's happened to me, I buy a top somewhere at it fits perfectly but it's shorter than I like.  I think it's because shopping channels cater to the middled woman and they make their tops and inch or two longer.  

Super Contributor

I love LL Bean although I try not to order too often ($). I had noticed the top length issue  before but I just chalked it up to my weirdo body shape lol. I'm just under 5 ft 4 but my torso is about a Texas mile......sadly my legs are around 2 inches long.

Someone tipped me off about buying tops in "Tall" sizes (when offered) and they were right. They are perfect for a long torso.

I like it because I've never been considered a "Tall" in anything Smiley Very Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Respected Contributor

I think it's just the way the brand is cut. Seems as though in years past, tees and tops weren't quite as long as they typically are these days. Many (but not all!) Bean items are fairly classic and plain, and they've kept the cuts the way long-time customers like them. Some items (Saturday tees, for example) are actually billed as "a shorter length, relaxed styling," which makes them way too boxy for me. (In fact, I am sized out of much of LL Bean's clothing, as it has a relatively full cut and is too big for me.)

280366_0_49.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

Most LL Bean tops are too short for my taste as well. I recently discovered Duluth Trading Compnay's Long Tail T's, and I prefer their length.

Regular Contributor

I agree that their tops are too short.  I'm 5'6", and I like them to hit near the top of my legs, which means to about the middle of my butt in the back. I don't need to hide anything, I just think the shorter length looks weird.

I used to buy their sweaters all the time, but between their prices and the shorter length, I've pretty much given up.  It's a shame because their quality is excellent.

Honored Contributor

I'm 5'4", but any top called high hip length is going to be too short for me.  These tops always look as though they shrunk in the wash. 

Valued Contributor

I am one woman who hates the longer length tops. Woman think longer lengths hide their butts or whatever but in reality they cling to the butt, add extra fabric and make you look larger. That is, unless you are the perfect 5'8 or 5'9 that the longer length tops are really designed for. Then, you'll look great.  There is nothing frumpier than a short overweight woman to any degree wearing a long top. And please don't take offense. I am one of those woman. That is why it would be nice to have petite and tall options. Which QVC seems to hate to do for some reason, must have to do with profit