Honored Contributor

While my color palette has actually expanded with age I've always been a fan of black and white. I especially like the black on top and white on the bottom. I don't follow any seasonal color rules but I do try to brighten things up a little bit during the summer. But I still wear my dark colors!

I've seen some pretty wild colored boots and shoes of late so white is nothing by comparison but it's still stands out and I like it

Respected Contributor

Not wearing white after Labor Day, is like the time change...

Both being just out dated thinking... both ridiculous...

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@WorldTraveler .  Not sure the reason Louis gave,

No White After Labor Day was a rule instituted at the turn of the 20th century. "Old Money"   knew how to dress at their summer resorts, and knew not to wear white shoes after Labor Day. They believed the nouveau riche, newly monied, required "schooling" .

The original rule was actually "No White Shoes After Labor Day"...later it was interpreted to clothing and no white garments of any sort before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.

Wear white! Life is too short for these silly, seriously ancient rules.

@CatsyCline Totally agree with you!

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I watched that presentation and Louis was talking about how that "no white after Labor Day" got started. Can't remember the exact reason, but it went back to a very long time ago. Hopefully, one of the Linea gals will jump in with the reason he gave.

I have always worn whatever color I want, and when I want to wear it. I don't let anyone else dictate what I should wear, unless it is an employer. I think that is why I do not care to hear someone tell me what the fashion is in Paris, etc. Why would I let someone in Paris determine what I wear?

I love winter white and wear it probably once a week to work, whether it is a pair of slacks or a top or a scarf. I don't recall wearing white shoes though, but that's because my white shoes are sandals. Perhaps I should try wearing white closed shoes or white boots in winter. Kate looked beautiful with the total look!

@World Traveler  Dictate?  Isn't it just being open minded to new trends and opportunities in things to wear?   I love to hear and see what people are wearing elsewhere, then I can pick and choose what I like  and what will work in my life.

I would hate not to have access to new ideas!  Although I am a very traditional dresser! 

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady. I agree w/ you. I wear my white jeans all year. Fashion rules have become quite individual.

Respected Contributor

I really like the look that Kate wore. I may break down and look for a pair of white booties to wear with pants. Don't think I'm ready for knee high or OTK with a skirt.

Trusted Contributor

It is after Labor Day me I wore white jeans.  However, it was 82 degrees here in NJ so white bottoms, short sleeves and sandals were still appropriate.  I don’t like stark white once the weather gets colder.  I don’t think I could ever wear white closed shoes or boots.

Trusted Contributor

Kate wears clothes beautifully. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's more of a temperature thing than a date thing.  It would be very impractical to wear white pants in CT during the winter.  It's even difficult to keep winter white pants clean once we start with yucky weather and street sanding and all of that unpleasantness.

Truthfully, I don't really wear white pants or shorts all that much even in the summer.

Valued Contributor

I always wear white after Labor Day and I live in RI.  But, I am not going to wear a light cotton pant or linen, I am referring to trousers or jeans after LD.