Honored Contributor

Re: What's wrong with "trying too hard"?

In fashion terms, trying to hard means when a woman's goal is to look fashionably trendy but she throws in too many elements and ends up looking cooky crazy.  Like if a woman bought theTSV and wore it with the coordinating  jeans and high heel wedges in the same color and floppy straw hat and big sunglasses and an arm full of colorful bangles and fringe earrings.  All those things singly or in moderation would work.  But too many at one time would look over done or "trying too hard" to be stylish.  

Trusted Contributor

See the source image

Member Since 11/20/2008
Respected Contributor

Maybe it means you are trying too hard to look like something you aren't.  I know what looks good on me and what doesn't.  If I see something in the store I think is cute, stylish, and on trend,  it doesn't mean it is age or body shape appropriate.  This is just my opinion  

Honored Contributor

As my late Mom described it looking like Mrs Astors Pet Horse, thinking you need to were everything instead of a few key peices

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

IMG_8566.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sometimes when people "try too hard", they overdo their look, forgetting that "less is more".

@Kachina624   That is what I think as well.

Honored Contributor

I guess this is another one of those terms that everyone can interpret differently.  Maybe its like when you are always "match-matchy".  And never just be casually put together, but tend to over-dress no matter the occasion.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It is Kooky. Kooky,kooky lend me your comb.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

So - apparently “looks like you are trying too hard” is in the eye of the beholder... totally subjective.

Just another empty phrase we can ignore.