Honored Contributor

What outerwear to wear with a poncho?

I bought my first knit poncho last week, now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to wear it.  All I can think of is keep my arms out of the poncho and put them into my coat sleeves.  That wads the fabric up at my shoulders.  Keep my arms in the poncho and the fabric won't go down the sleeves easily.  No, I don't want to buy an outerwear poncho.

Respected Contributor

Re: What outerwear to wear with a poncho?

They only look nice when modeling.  But to me it would be annoying to move around in while working or doing anything that requires movement.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

A poncho is only good for days that are just a little chilly, used as you would a jacket, over your clothes.  Over a coat???  NO.

Super Contributor

Hi, sorry but I would wear it as a lightweight jacket or indoor layering piece.  i prefer the ruana style.  I can more use out of them by also wearing as a shawl over a coat or a large scarf.  I know the Marvelush rep said you could ear a coat over their ponchos but I don't see it.

Respected Contributor

I don't think you can comfortably wear a coat over a poncho.  You may have to just carry it with you & put it on when you get where you're going after removing your coat.

I'm wearing the marvelush poncho that I just got.  Though it's cold & snowing today, I didn't wear a coat over it because I go from an underground parking lot at home to a covered parking spot at work, & it's just a short drive.  True, I'd have a problem if the car broke down & I had to walk outside for a while - but that's the risk I take.

Respected Contributor

@DoneTryin  I think about stuff like that too........I'd keep a coat in the car just in case!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I only wear my ponchos on days when I don't need a coat.  There really is no way to wear a coat over the top of a poncho and I'd not carry it with me and put it on at my destination.

I also only wear them when I know I can keep them on because I'd also not wear a poncho and then have to take it off inside of someplace.  This is why I don't own a lot of them.  I think they are cute but sort of useless.  LOL    

Honored Contributor

@depglass

On the rare days that I feel like wearing my one and only poncho to work, I put on a coat and carry the poncho separately, like in my backpack or in a tote.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I don't think you are supposed to wear outerwear with a poncho?

I thought they were for light jacket days...and you wear instead of a jacket?

The thought of a winter jacket and then a poncho in my mind looks plump and funny.

Honored Contributor

I sure wasn't thinking ahead when I bought this.  It was fairly warm in our part of the country until a week ago, now we have snow.  Oh well, I'll just hold it for a couple months.  Cheap, from Evine.  I love them for fashion pieces I'll not keep for years and years.  With QVC aiming for the 50 dollar plus price point on tops, they are now for basics only, like my Linea turtlenecks.  And ironically those are pretty inexpensive.