Honored Contributor

Re: What outerwear to wear with a poncho?

I wear a lot of ponchos.  If I need something more for warmth, I wear a cape or ruana over the poncho.

Respected Contributor

I fold the poncho up onto my shoulders.  It does not bunch up badly enough to be noticable to me.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I think of a poncho as a lightweight outer layer for cool days. I wouldn't try to wear a coat over one, or under.

I don't have any ponchos right now. I tend to find them uncomfortable - the floppiness gets in the way of driving, working, eating, etc.

Also, for people on the short side, ponchos can be overwhelming. They need to be sized to the figure IMO.    

I have seen some sweater/ponchos that I thought were cute. They have more definition, and fit snugly under the arms. I would be more apt to wear something like that.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I wear a lot of ponchos.  If I need something more for warmth, I wear a cape or ruana over the poncho.

I do the same thing.  You can't wear a coat over a poncho.

Honored Contributor

When I wear them to work, I carry them in my tote bag and put them on when I get to work,  But if I'm out and about on my own time and I'm going from the car into a building; I wear a long sleeve turleneck under the poncho and I wrap a big scarf around my shoulders. 

Honored Contributor

I wear mine on the milder winter days or when I'm going to be inside in a chilly place like a movie or restaurant.   They're great during transition periods like spring and fall.   I can't imagine wearing one under a coat,  although it could be worn over a coat for extra warmth. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Then, you have to figure out how to carry your handbag. I love the look of them, have a couple, but they just take up closet space. They always tempt me, but I think I have learned my lesson.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Super Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I fold the poncho up onto my shoulders.  It does not bunch up badly enough to be noticable to me.  

That's what I do. It works just fine.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Honored Contributor

the poncho IS my outerwear......i never wear anything on top of it other than possibly a scarf.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

I do the same thing.  You can't wear a coat over a poncho.

Me too.  I enjoy wearing anything that has a drapey style but found that coats just don't work with a poncho.  Therefore,  I have a very good Victorian styled wool cape that works with the ponchos and shawl styled pieces.  The layers add extra warmth as well.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~