Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do "missed designers" have in common

@Duckncover  If you shopped with QVC in the 1990s to very early 2000s perhaps these brands have slipped your memory.  During this period most of Bob Mackie's (and Diane Gilman on HSN) blouses were usually 100% silk.  Bob and Diane even offered silk slacks to coordinate with the blouses. Diane Von Furstenberg had collections on QVC before moving over to HSN with her collection which was called Silk Assets.  Her early QVC collections even included at least one of her famous wrap dresses.  QVC has always had the Irish wool sweaters for the St. Patrick's Day specials. There was a collection called Urban Wool which was a collection of merino wool fashions.  There was the cashmere line called Precious Fibers.  Another one is Joan Rivers Collection. In the beginning, the line included tailored trousers, crisp cotton shirts, blazers, and sweaters all of which were made of natural fibers to coincide with the season.  Louis Dell Olio began in 2000 with seasonal natural fiber garments even if it was an easy-fit casual item. George Simonton also comes to mind as a designer who created some looks for QVC that were beautiful and did not look like versions of the same stuff I could find in any mall store.  

Honored Contributor

@Trix In addition to those you mentioned, I loved Pamela Dennis with her husky voice, and Rachel Zoe always had wonderful items.

Ladies, who was it that did those ultra soft, possibly cashmere sweaters with beautiful floral prints???

Trusted Contributor

I bought my very first cashmere sweater from QVC and yes, it was a precious fibers.  Had it for years. 

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trix In addition to those you mentioned, I loved Pamela Dennis with her husky voice, and Rachel Zoe always had wonderful items.

Ladies, who was it that did those ultra soft, possibly cashmere sweaters with beautiful floral prints???

@ECBG  Gabriella T. Her sweater prints were gorgeous. I still saved one of mine, it has light brown leopard print with orange tiger lillies and a few scattered real leopards lying down. What a phenomenal designer. I miss her line so much even after all these years.

Trusted Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

@x Hedge:

I agree.  The styles were not "trendy"...NO high-low hems, distressed jeans, wild prints, cold shoulder, etc.

Honestly I think George Simonton has been credited with inventing the cold shoulder top

Esteemed Contributor

Quality fabrics and attention to detail...

Respected Contributor

Classic pieces, not fads, appeal to "women of a certain age", better costlier fabrics, established designers who are not willing to put up with QVC requirements.

Linea

George Simonton

Victor Costa

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

They were true designers who had runway shows and/or couture clothing before they ever came to QVC.  Now we have "celebrities" with dubious designing skills selling the same way overpriced items.

@kaydee50 

Good reply. I agree. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

They were not brands owned by QVC.

@shoesnbags 

Truth! 

Esteemed Contributor

@IMW Thank you for mentioning Victor Costa.  I had a couple of his pastel-colored jeans jackets that had the most beautiful embroidery across the front and back yokes. They were stunning and could be worn casually, or used as a dress-up jacket.