Trusted Contributor

I am attending an afternoon party with a boyfriend  that is being hosted by an affluent couple. It is to introduce their 1 year old granddaughter.  The mayor will most likely be there, so that gives you an idea of the guest list. It will be catered with a bartender, etc. 

The dress is casual ( we live in Arizona).  I don't want to look like the kitchen help, nor be overdressed.  I cannot wear heels due to balance issues.  I am 67 years old and dress fashionably. I wear a size 10 and I am 5'4''.

Any suggestions as to what to wear? I was thinking about wearing a light grey pair of Isaac ankle pants and a navy swing Alfani top with silver jewelry and grey flats. Is this too underdressed ? 

My boyfriend isn't much help, he is wearing dress pants and a polo shirt.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Respected Contributor

I think what you have picked out to wear sounds perfect. You yourself want to be comfortable, for if you are not comfortable you will end up having a terrible time.  Enjoy the party!

Respected Contributor

He is wearing business casual, so I would do the same. I do not know if the pants you are thinking of wearing are casual or dressy. I would wear dress pants.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I'm also in AZ..........your choice sounds quite elegant and understated to me!    Have a great time.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

I think what you have picked out to wear sounds perfect. You yourself want to be comfortable, for if you are not comfortable you will end up having a terrible time.  Enjoy the party!

i agree. Have fun!

Honored Contributor

@CalcgirlI love this world we live in!  67 and going to a party wih a boyfriend.

I see you solved your wtw -  so have a great time.  It's a happy occasion.

Esteemed Contributor

I would step it up a little with a more dressy attire.  A sharp dress would be very appropriate.

Respected Contributor

it sounds quite lovely and appropriate to me.  have a wonderful time!

Honored Contributor

Afternoon usually sounds like tea attire.  Nice black dress pants (you are asking what would we do) and if I did not have some fresh from the cleaners, I would wear a nice LBD with a jacket perhaps, single strand pearls or a pin on my jacket of similar character.  Dark hose (not opaque) and nice black flats.  I attend similar functions frequently and the ladies dress like for an afternoon tea as do the men.

Honored Contributor

Another thing you might think about...if it's an affluent couple w/ the mayor, there will/might be photographers taking your picture for the 'fancy' section of the Sunday paper!  Have fun!