Respected Contributor

Re: What Is Your Major Neutral Color?

@Nonametoday wrote:

@vermint wrote:

To answer the question...black is my major neutral, especially on the bottom. For tops, I like color, sometimes mixed with black, sometimes with other colors.

@vermint 

I like that combination but I am trying to do more black atop and white or beige/tan/taupe bottoms.  I am top heavy and the black atop makes me appear smaller on top and the lighter colors on bottom make my derriere look more plentiful.

@Nonametoday  I'm exactly the opposite--bottom heavy. I do occasionally wear white or tan pants, but only if they are a heavy-enough fabric to not show my lumps/bumps. I also make sure my top covers my entire tush if I'm wearing white bottoms...just in case, lol!

Esteemed Contributor

All my pants, shorts and capris are my neutrals....black, khaki, dark denim, navy and my tops are coordinating tops to wear with them.  I'd say black is more prevalent though.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Winter -- black (and denim); Summer -- dark navy, some white, some black (and denim)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Black and Brown. Brown look so much better on me though, as I am warm toned.....My husband said that I wear way too much black in the winter time. I tend to not wear much black or brown in the summer months, more colors and white, and navy, etc.......

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

My major neutral color is black.  To me navy is a "color" and can't be mixed as easily.

Some coloring needs navy to be the main neutral, black can be harsh on their complexion.

@ECBG 

Black is also mine .... years ago I wore a lot of navy, but unless you have pieces from the same dye lot, it's almost impossible to match the shades exactly.  I once heard a designer (can't remember who) say there are about 50 different shades of navy, also affected by the fabric used.  Finally explained why I had so much trouble matching navy blue pieces.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

My major neutral color is black.  To me navy is a "color" and can't be mixed as easily.

Some coloring needs navy to be the main neutral, black can be harsh on their complexion.

@ECBG 

Black is also mine .... years ago I wore a lot of navy, but unless you have pieces from the same dye lot, it's almost impossible to match the shades exactly.  I once heard a designer (can't remember who) say there are about 50 different shades of navy, also affected by the fabric used.  Finally explained why I had so much trouble matching navy blue pieces.

You are correct about navy, and I am very particular about making sure that my items match or at very least look good together (I'm never trying to make things look like a suit or anything like that, unless they are pieces made to go together.) There are definitely many shades of navy, but holding them next to each other I can tell whether they harmonize with each other; some look terrible together, and others may be lighter or darker versions of the same shade. Much of what I own is from Talbots--their "indigo" is the deep navy that I prefer, so I am always on the lookout for deep, dark navy shoes and accessories. To my eye, even different washes of denim look better or worse with different shades of navy, so I take that into account as well.

Honored Contributor

Since retiring, I buy my pants and shorts in only denim, navy and black.  I wear black or white tank tops and shirts at home.  I have navy, berry, black, teal, and white shirts I wear with pants to appts and grocery shopping.   

I keep it simple and cheap, as I HATE to spend money on clothes!