Respected Contributor

Re: WHY SLEEVELESS DRESSES IN THE DEAD OF WINTER?

Thanks for posting what I've been thinking! Even my husband has questioned why some of our local news casters are wearing summer and non business clothing on our news channels.

I grew up with Jackie Kennedy and if memory serves she only wore sleeveless during summer months and she was very stylish! To wear summer clothes in winter just shows you have no sense of style, no class and no brains, brrrrrrrrr.

Respected Contributor

Oh, and double dumb I've read your stuff before (different name) and if you are lucky you will make it past your age. I guess youth and a dislike for older ladies is all you have going for you! Too bad {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 1/7/2014 Q2girl said: It's all about Michelle.

When Jackie Kennedy was in the White House she often wore a sheath dress exposing her arms. Michelle has beautiful well toned arms, so she too wears sleeveless.

Any woman who spends time in the gym and looks terrific, I think like wearing sleeveless dresses. Makes all that work well worthwhile. Smile

Yes, but it looks absolutely ridiculous in -11 degrees below 0 weather.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Occasional Contributor

Just had to write my opinion about this!Sleeveless in wintertime turns me off and what ever they say about lighting in studios it's just looking right.I always remember Elisabeth Hasselback's dressing in the View, she was always wearing summer clothes ,no matter what time of year it was.You can see it really bothers me !

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2014 tdog said:

I watch "The Five" sometimes on Fox and they always have the women seated on the end with their legs showing as much as the skirt they wear will allow. This is totally done for the male audience, and I think the bare arms might be titillating somehow also. Maybe they are showing off how great their arms look, but I think the producers probably tell them to show as much skin as possible. It is still a man's world in the TV business and the entertainment business in general. Women are still objectified as much as possible.

I agree Fox is the worst offender. "The Five" and "Red Eye" producers are shameless in how they treat the female members of the panel.

Unfortunately ladies it is definitely more about the objectification of these attractive women than it is a copycat of the First Lady. It's an even sadder indictment of the news media because the younger women working their way up to being a primary anchor or having their own show have no choice. The newscasters, journalist, anchors or whatever you want to call them who have reached a certain status, or who aren't on air because of their se x appeal -- aren't obligated to wear this style of clothing. Some, like Katie Couric choose to, but others just dress professionally.

Valued Contributor

I was glad to see this thread since I keep seeing the same thing here in Boston and can't figure it out. It was snowy and coooold and there they were with sleeveless dresses. Not only sleeveless but lacey and flimsy. My Mom, a hundred years ago, wore sleeveless dresses in the fall and early winter but they were heavy weight material, including wool. I remember thinking it was unusual back then but guess that was her style and it had nada to do with Michelle.

Contributor

If the camera puts on 10 pounds, SLEEVELESS DRESSES TAKE OFF 20 POUNDS !!! The visual width of your upper torso seems so much narrower.

Try it in the mirror! It's true! I'm a plus size and finally caught on to this trick that virtually every woman in TV knows.

Respected Contributor

Funny you should post this because I have always thought it weird but thought it was only me who felt this way. I look at the TV and they are dressed like summer.

Respected Contributor

Funny you should post this because I have always thought it weird but thought it was only me who felt this way. I look at the TV and they are dressed like summer.

Respected Contributor