Honored Contributor

Amal and Beyonce have both worn velvet dresses in the last couple of weeks. I think Amal's is stunning, impeccable fit too. She wore it for a gala, Beyonce wore hers for dinner out with her husband.

Do you, would you wear velvet in the summer? I remember a few years ago suede in summer was talked about as being in style. 

I have that Ralph Lauren black velvet jumpsuit that I got for 30 something dollars. It's sleeveless-so hypothetically if I had a place to wear it and could get to a gym every day/lose weight to get my arms toned...maybe I'd try it.

amal-clooney1.jpgbeyonce-12 (1).jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

No, I wouldn't wear velvet until the cool weather.   (I'm generally not a fan of velvet anyway ... just two pairs of pants and one jacket.)

I do wear suede and nubuck all year around.  

Honored Contributor

Amal and Beonce could care less what time of the year it is or what people think, so naturally they would wear velvet any time.

Super Contributor

I've never thought that velvet was worn in seasons other than fall and winter but then I'm not a trendsetter. LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  get a black skinnytee to wear under it. I think it would look stunning. I consider velvet fall/winter but with air conditiong it really doesn't matter. I guess

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 Good point, but I have also seen velvet shown for spring and summer on some style sites that I look at once in a while. Obviously the temperature is an issue too, you definitely would need constant good AC. Well I would. 

You could wear it to a Christmas in July party😊

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

I'm old school.  We wore velvet dresses and shoes for Christmas not Easter.

I wear velvet December until Valentine's Day. 

Amal Clooney lookings stunning. Beyonce looks like a hot mess. (those barely there shoes are such a distraction, I hardly noticed the dress)

Respected Contributor

I do not live in a bubble of AC, so. . .no!

Respected Contributor

My initial instinct would be to say no, but then velvets are usually made from cotton or rayon mixes, so why not?  Over the last several years they've even been pushing summer weight leather, so the only rules are there are no rules.

@Greeneyedlady21  That jumpsuit sounds great.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

It’s way too hot and humid where I live, especially at night. If I lived in a cool climate with low humidity I might. Amal is wearing a sleeveless dress. Maybe she’s out somewhere cool. Beyonce looks like she’s dressed for a winter night. Long sleeves and black velvet seems out of place for even cooler climates in the midst of summer.