Valued Contributor

Re: The good old days of QVC and fashion

The fabrics keep getting cheaper and the prices keep going up. Not good for the Q or us shoppers. I got a kick out of the Q discovering how much shoppers are willing to pay by pushing up the LOGO prices then doing the same with Graver. Have you looked at the As Is site?  It is filled with LOGO. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ajsidney12 wrote:

@NJgirl 1205 DVF was on the Q? Wow, how far back was that I have been watching only for about 9+ years.

@ajsidney12Now I really feel old LOL.  Honestly I don't remember but probably over 20 years now as I think it was before I moved into the house I own now.  Probably closer to 25 years.   Still have a beautiful silk poet blouse.

Then she was on HSN ( of course by then she was married to Barry Diller) but the line pretty much went down hill. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked some of the "different" things they sold like Koos, Look East, McFadden, Indigo Moon.

Now - I have to hunt around some of the small shops here in NYC to find "interesting" clothing.  For knits - I'm making them myself.

ETA:  Sandy Starkman (still wearing his tops); David Dart (still wearing); Koos (still wearing several pieces); Indigo Moon (many pieces - still wearing); Look East suede jacket and burnout velvet shirt.

Respected Contributor

I still have and wear beautiful silk blouses from DVF, and Bob Mackie. I am also wearing precious fibers cashmere, that is so soft and wonderful.

Now most of the Q brands are owned by the same company, manufactured out of the same factories.

It is dissapointing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even though I came in after a lot of you, I still miss the "old days" and I do miss the time when QVC offered a variety of unique designers and clothing styles. They would occasionally also bring in a few pieces of a line that was different just to show a new top etc....Now it seems all the lines look the same whether you are talking D&C, Logo, Halston, CWonder, Graver, WWC, or Gili...they all seem to copy the same thing that may have sold well, but what is needed is vareity.  Some classic styles in new colors and fabrics are much needed. ..... Yes clothing styles change, but they always have, but there was still variety and the classics were still available (and I'm talking about things other than a boyfriend shirt or classic jacket that QVC shows ad nauseum)....Even though styles have gone more leisure still merits the need for uniqueness amongst the brands...

And QVC's clothing prices are way above what I can find locally at Dillards Macys Stein Mart for same styles and quality of fabric......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Seka wrote:

Yes - I too miss the Good Old Days at the Q! There were many categories/brands that I used to purchase. The Fashion was ‘REAL’ Fashion - designed by REAL Designers! I loved watching the Cooking Shows - and Northern Nights - the Beauty Brands - the Gold Rush and Silver Days were incredible - etc.etc.

Today, sadly - I hardly ever watch anything on the Q and I buy very little. I will watch Louis Dell’Olio Linea sometimes but his Show hours are during the day or very early morning.

The Shows today are so repetitive - a handful of Vendors - showing the same Items over and over again.

I also find that the Quality has deteriorated while the prices have increased.

Too bad. But this strategy must be working for them - because it has been this way for several years.

@Seka

But the strategy isn't working for them, revenue has been declining the last few quarters and in particular the apparel lines (topics are in Q Talk) ......QVC really needs to do some serious evaluating they seem to be stuck in a rut and it's not helping their bottom line and customers are losing interest...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@SpurtYou are so right.  Glad I sold the stock about 3 years ago when it became pretty obvious tht it would go nowhere but down!

Valued Contributor

@NJgirl 1205

Well said,  Mary Mcfadden loved her clothes. DVF so

original.  All gone...............................

Valued Contributor

@Leeny  Yes.................................

I am still wearing Dialogue 10 years later.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@rhinonana5

Have to add, just as an aside, I tried a couple of Caslon tunics from N and... same problem... man-made fibers that pilled under the arms after first wearing. So the problem exists in what one might consider "finer" retail stores.

The QC for different sizes is off everywhere I can afford to shop... which must be disappointing to designers everywhere.

I mean, can't you just see a "shop" in China (etc) agreeing to produce thousands of an item with particular measurements? The "off" ones would probably be tossed in a box with all the others to be shipped!

@LTT1: I remember reading about why the sizing is "off" or inconsistent on so many of the clothing items that are mass-produced overseas:

In order to produce as many garments as possible in one cutting (to save $$$$), the individual pieces of fabric are piled very high. Then the machine cuts out the part of the garment, for example the front, the sleeve, etc.

The machine is cutting through so many layers of fabric, that the pieces at the bottom of the pile, and the ones at the top, can't possibly be uniformly sized.

l don't think anyone in these factories even cares to check if items are "off," b/c that's not cost effective.

One of my many cousins used to work in a clothing factory and she told be this as well. A huge blade comes down and cuts thru hundreds of layers of fabric at once. The ones from the top are much smaller than the ones on the bottom.