Honored Contributor

Re: The dress Lisa wore last night can be found at Nordstrom's for $2,990.00

I didn't see what she had on. This is not directed at Lisa or any host in particular because I have no beefs with any host.

But.... I think that since they all work for a shopping channel and they sell clothing, shoes, jewelry,etc., that as an on-air representative, that they should be required to wear the clothing, shoes and jewelry that QVC sells while they are on air!

What they buy and wear on their own time, is totally up to them and if they want to spend $20,000 on one thing, who cares, really?

But... they get on air and tout how wonderful this is or that is, then why not be an example of what you are selling???????

Why do we want to see them all decked out in a beautiful outfit --- gorgeous shoes --- lovely jewelry --- and then --- be told --- oh, but you can't buy that here --- It's their personal items!!! Makes no sense to me!!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I agree - hosts should be required to wear what is sold on the channel. However: there are male hosts and QVC doesn't feature men's apparel. Possible discrimination issue if TPTB would tell the female hosts to wear only QVC merchandise. That being said: one would think those same PTB would tell the hosts to tone down the high-end apparel, accessories and jewelry when on air. There's nothing wrong with dressing well, but don't sell a $30 blouse wearing a $3,000 dress. Or Jill (whom I like) talking about her "real" John Hardy bracelets while selling the QVC knock-offs.

Respected Contributor

I still think that if she wears expensive clothing on TV (maybe even has to wear a certain number of times) claiming it's a requirement for her "job" as a "lifestyle/beauty/whatever expert" to maintain her image, she is able to write it off on her taxes (maybe it's even in her contract that she gets a clothing allowance from the Q as part of her perks....all those contracts are negotiated and probably different for everyone)........I know back in the day flight attendants could (maybe still can) write off expenses for things such as pantyhose, make-up, uniforms, etc. because they were required to wear them on their jobs.....

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2014 hulagirl said:

I still think that if she wears expensive clothing on TV (maybe even has to wear a certain number of times) claiming it's a requirement for her "job" as a "lifestyle/beauty/whatever expert" to maintain her image, she is able to write it off on her taxes (maybe it's even in her contract that she gets a clothing allowance from the Q as part of her perks....all those contracts are negotiated and probably different for everyone)........I know back in the day flight attendants could (maybe still can) write off expenses for things such as pantyhose, make-up, uniforms, etc. because they were required to wear them on their jobs.....

The rules are very strict. If she can wear these clothes off-air, which she can, she cannot claim them on her taxes.

I don't know about a clothing allowance. She may have one...

Super Contributor

Can you say Marshalls and TJMaxx?

Honored Contributor

Perhaps when selling clothes it makes sense to wear only QVC clothes , likewise, when selling jewelry. When selling anything else, all bets are off. Short of uniforms, I don't know of any job that would successfully require employees to wear only certain brands of clothes, especially only female employees. Go to just about any store and I'd be willing to bet management is not dictating that employees wear only clothes sold at that store. I'd also guess that when selling beauty products or jewelry, management could give a rats backside what hosts wear as long as they look well pulled together, which they probably assume helps them move the merchandise.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

How would you feel about asking an Avon lady or a saleswoman in Estee Lauder what the lovely fragrance they're wearing is, and they tell you it's not Avon or EL? Same with the Q gals not wearing Q clothing on-air. They're not on 24/7 or even 40 hrs/wk. Shame on them.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2014 willdob3 said:
On 3/29/2014 grandma r said:

Obviously she can afford it. Good for her.

Why is it important that we know the cost of the host wardrobes???? Seriously! They make good money and have the freedom to purchase whatever they want.

I don't think it was about finding out what the host's clothes cost. I think it was more along the lines of the OP liking the outfit enough to want to buy it for herself...until she saw the price.

Not probably true. I have read many posts by the OP and this dress or any other one is not something she would go out shopping for much less buy and wear..what is true is she frequently has such posts in reality taking jabs at LR..or hosts.

People can deny it all they want..why watch somebody who irritates you so much, to the point of having to post about them on their employers website? Turn the channel.. Jealousy...totally jealousy...like the mean girls in school..

Gotta say - we often wonder why the kids of society are like they are...look at how grown mature women constantly knock other women down on this site.

Think all those nasty bullies in school pulled that behavior out of a hat..of course not..learned behavior.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2014 sylviahomeatlast said:
On 3/29/2014 upsidedown said:

No way I think she pays that much for a dress.....it could be a knockoff.....a dollar a day?

I think all hosts should be required to wear QVC clothing on-air....if it isn't good enough for them to wear, why should viewers buy it?

^^^ this!

I don't doubt she does pay that much and more for her clothing. Jill also wears very high-end clothing--jackets and shoes, etc. I also think they should wear more QVC clothing especially if it is the TSV that day. Jane T. and Carolyn Gracie do wear the QVC clothing. It helps customers who are similar in size to see how the "fashions" look.

Valued Contributor

On 3/30/2014 JamicaJammer said:

Can you say Marshalls and TJMaxx?

umm, no. not for current collections.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel