Respected Contributor

Re: 'The Feminist Wears Chanel' -- A Thoughtful Article on Fashion from Today's Washington Post

I always enjoy reading articles about fashion and appreciate when people post them.

I can remember the 1960's and 70's (the era of bra-burning and "Our Bodies, Ourselves" - although I never knew anyone who burned their bra - that was mostly media hype). But there was a kind of contempt for fashion and even grooming amongst some feminists.

That always seemed odd and unnecessary to me. Women can be intelligent, professional, political or whatever they want to be - and still look good and love fashion. No conflict there in my mind.

Is fashion a waste of time and resources? I hope not. Like anything else, it can be overdone. Life is about balance, to me.

Respected Contributor

Re: 'The Feminist Wears Chanel' -- A Thoughtful Article on Fashion from Today's Washington Post

The article ended with "A company need answer only a simple question: Is the fashion industry doing all it can to make its customers’ lives better?"

Really? This is a bit too existential for me---and maybe just too self-important of them. The fashion industry is way down on my list of industries that I want to make my life better. Top of my list are Energy, Chemical, Automotive, Pharmaceutical, Agriculture, Banking & Finance, Aerospace---shall I continue?

Look, if they just keep harmful chemicals out of their fabrics/manufacturing process and don't use child or "slave" labor"---design what ever they want, and I'll buy what ever I want. It's that simple for me.

What I think would make all our lives better here in the US is to bring back the manufacturing to the US---but that's not a design decision, it's financial.

OK, my little rant is over.......back to work.......

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Trusted Contributor

Fashion is not as frivolous as many make it out to be. It is always reflective of the society surrounding it as well as the changes that are taking place. Also the psychological profile of those who wear it. Many doctors will suspect an underlying depression most often in women who come into their practices with an "I don't care how I look" air about them. We are always communicating something about ourselves with with we wear and how we look. Many would be very surprised by what they are communicating!

When I was studying Clothing and Human Behavior in grad school, there was a fascinating test program of Fashion Therapy used within a women's mental institution. It was a resounding success in terms of improving body image and even reinforcing and improving ego strength. The women in the program were also more receptive -some for the first time- to more conventional therapies and showed great improvement! I was very excited about this program and expressed to my thesis adviser my desire to work in a program such as this one. Despite its resounding and measurable success, she told me that funding would not be forthcoming as no one wanted to take fashion seriously.

Super Contributor

When I read about this on Louis's blog, I immediately went to style.com to check out this collection from Karl. Perfection! I'm now obsessed with pinstripes but OF COURSE the trousers are all sold out, in regular and petites. I would LOVE pinstripes shorts as it's in the 90's here right now. The olive drab pieces, the gold lurex tights, all beautiful - Louis has it goin' on! :-D

Honored Contributor

My new issue of Vogue arrived today, and tucked in the cellophane seal with it was a Ralph Lauren "magazinette." Inside it was his pinstripe pantsuit, which looks a lot like the Linea suit.

Barbara in Virginia's comments (above) focus on the importance of our clothing; it does convey more than we know.

Respected Contributor

On 10/2/2014 kimsu1 said:

When I read about this on Louis's blog, I immediately went to style.com to check out this collection from Karl. Perfection! I'm now obsessed with pinstripes but OF COURSE the trousers are all sold out, in regular and petites. I would LOVE pinstripes shorts as it's in the 90's here right now. The olive drab pieces, the gold lurex tights, all beautiful - Louis has it goin' on! :-D

He sure does!

Thanks for posting, Goldie.