Super Contributor

Susan Graver Liquid Knit Top-Made In Vietnam ????

I was going to purchase a liquid knit tunic from Susan Graver this morning, and upon reading the description I read that it was made in Vietnam. I have only purchased one other item from her over the years and I thought her clothes were made in the U.S.A. as I have heard her say many times on her shows that her clothes are "proudly made in the U.S.A."

I am having second thoughts, and it disappoints me that she would have her clothes made

outside of America.

I wonder if they are true to size and how well they would hold up?

Does anyone have experience with clothes made there from her ?

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Susan Graver Liquid Knit Top-Made In Vietnam ????

I think lustra knit is the only fabric/garments made in the U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

I try to stay away from clothing from China or Vietnam.

Honored Contributor

What's the big deal? Almost no clothing is manufactured in the US these days. SG clothing is made just fine; I've never heard a poster say a garment fell apart. I imagine it's hard to find a US facility to make all the clothing Susan sells, especially at a price point you would pay.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2014 kachina624 said: What's the big deal? Almost no clothing is manufactured in the US these days. SG clothing is made just fine; I've never heard a poster say a garment fell apart. I imagine it's hard to find a US facility to make all the clothing Susan sells, especially at a price point you would pay.

I agree. Traditionally garment workers were always poorly paid. From the 19th century on. In the U.S. the practice was horrible. The rise of unions changed that. To counter that most of the clothing industry went to overseas to third world nations. I think the movement toward overseas production started in the late 1970's-early 1980's. They want to make a profit. That's why you're in business to begin with. China is having a growing middle class now. They are probably beginning to be too costly to produce clothes there now. So now they are sent to Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.

Some clothing like jeans buck the trend. The expensive jeans are made in the US ranging in price from $150-$400.00. But the majority of shoppers purchase the overseas $49.00 and under jeans.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of Susan's things are made in China. On average, her garments are very good quality, but when one misses, it really misses! I had to try 3 of her color block coats to get one that wasn't defective. I also think some colors are made in different factories, as I've had different colors of the same item made differently (less quality) or sizing issues - but that goes for D & Co as well.

Respected Contributor

Occasionally SG will announce when she has a garment made in USA, once in a while it happens. But I'm seeing MORE made In USA on HSN Antthony and Marla Wynn has some too.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/20/2014 songbird said:
On 2/20/2014 kachina624 said: What's the big deal? Almost no clothing is manufactured in the US these days. SG clothing is made just fine; I've never heard a poster say a garment fell apart. I imagine it's hard to find a US facility to make all the clothing Susan sells, especially at a price point you would pay.

I agree. Traditionally garment workers were always poorly paid. From the 19th century on. In the U.S. the practice was horrible. The rise of unions changed that. To counter that most of the clothing industry went to overseas to third world nations. I think the movement toward overseas production started in the late 1970's-early 1980's. They want to make a profit. That's why you're in business to begin with. China is having a growing middle class now. They are probably beginning to be too costly to produce clothes there now. So now they are sent to Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.

Some clothing like jeans buck the trend. The expensive jeans are made in the US ranging in price from $150-$400.00. But the majority of shoppers purchase the overseas $49.00 and under jeans.

Most of us can not afford or want a $400 pr. of jeans My concern is the working conditions of the people making the clothing especially the child labor.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think about the working conditions in those overseas factories. Then I ask myself if the workers would be better off without those jobs and perhaps starving. Our record in the garment industry was not very stellar in the first part of the 20th Century. Sometimes change comes slowly.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Vietnam is on my do not buy list. If I include China I guess I'll be naked.