Super Contributor

Re: Stylists? Credentials...

Those "stylists" that you see on TV and throughout the "fashion" industry know what the clothing manufacturing corporations are going to be pushing on us. They just figure out how to try to make this stuff look presentable and sell it. I have been seeing clothing looking more and more like loose fitting sacks. The larger percentage of clothing are all synthetic fabrics that do not hold up with washing and wearing. Now that everything is made in Plastic Land our clothing is made of synthetic fibers that come basically from plastic. That is why fabric like polyester is so hot to wear in warm weather or to sleep in or on at night. They are charging way too much for synthetic fibers that are sewn together with little skill. They need "fashion stylists" to try to make this look like something we want and they need really good sales people to get people to actually buy it.

Super Contributor

No stylists needed to throw a shirt or sweater on with jeans or leggings. That's all Q is doing. Where did all the models go? Trending on capturing a different sub group ......suddenly mostly plus models 

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure about all the beating up on stylists on this thread.  If I were a stylist, I would think the coveted jobs would be dressing prominent people for important moments.  And no certification is required!

My former neighbor was lucky enough to style the gorgeous Halle Berry for her Oscar winning moment.  And it was quite a moment!  And she looked gorgeous!  And he had no formal styling education.

3C64278D-8C89-48D0-A470-645AC41CD31B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

What do you think is needed to call yourself a “stylist”? They seem to be all over the internet and shopping channels. Guess you just need people to listen to you. Then there are the ones who dress famous people and they get noticed whether they are good or not.

@wakefield64 

Credentials?    Sorry, but one of the most important one, IMO, is TALENT.   

Not every occupation has to have a PhD designation.   People call themselves make up artists, stylists, etc etc .... and may or may not really have much talent.   Just like many other instances, you ask for referrals.

OTOH, there are artists in many realms that don't have a lot of formal training.  So what?  In the arts and fashion industries, people quickly spot real talent.   

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  “Talent” in this area is very subjective.

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  “Talent” in this area is very subjective.

@wakefield64 

Yes, of course it is.  I've also seen the work of people with degrees that wasn't worth a hoot.   

But assuming "credentials" always means something is also very subjective.  Someone may think Picasso was a genius, and another might think he needed more schooling.   Again, very subjective.

Respected Contributor

What Is a Fashion Stylist?

A fashion stylist is a professional who coordinates all aspects of a person’s visual aesthetic to make them look as fashionable and appealing as possible.

Fashion stylists may be employed in a wide array of industries and they may work with clients who are quite famous or who simply want to look their best. Some stylists are famous in their own right. Celebrity stylists often work with Hollywood A-listers, musicians, and high-profile clients.

What Does a Fashion Stylist Do?

A fashion stylist’s job description is wide-ranging. Some of the typical tasks they will encounter include:

• Attending runway shows, brand showrooms, and various fashion industry events to keep apprised of the latest trends and styles
  • Researching the fashion of previous eras (via magazines, movies, or an old lookbook) to design a period-appropriate aesthetic
  • Sourcing clothing from a worldwide array of brands and manufacturers
  • Consulting models, photographers, hairstylists, makeup artists, costume designers, brand creative directors, and art directors, magazine editors, and film and TV directors
  • Working with public figures to craft a personal visual aesthetic. This may include personal shopping and serving in the role of a personal stylist
  • Assisting clothing buyers for major retail chains

Where Do Fashion Stylists Work?

Fashion stylists can be found working in all of the following contexts:

• On professional photoshoots
  • On the set of print advertisements and televised commercials
  • On the set of music videos
  • On a political campaign, maintaining the candidate’s appearance
  • In a TV newsroom
  • Consulting a sports team on uniforms
  • Advising a costume designer preparing for a movie or television show (in this role, they are often known as a “wardrobe stylist”)
  • Developing a personal style for a current or aspiring public figure
5 Essential Tips to Succeed As a Fashion Stylist

1. Develop strong networking skills. As a stylist, you must develop a client base, network with designers and industry professionals, and attend numerous industry events. If you fall behind, it can be hard to catch up—fashion is a notably cutthroat industry.
  2. Develop close personal and professional relationships. Personal relationships are essential to attaining new style clients. While some fashion stylists may gain notice because a client appeared on a red carpet or in prominent fashion magazines, most business will come from friends and colleagues of existing clients.
  3. Don’t be shy. To succeed, you can’t shy away from a little self-promotion. Try to get invited to parties or lunches, and don’t hesitate to ask your successful mentors for referrals as you build your own business.
  4. Experience is more important than a diploma. In terms of education, some fashion stylists possess a bachelor’s degree or even a master’s degree, but when interviewing to be someone’s personal stylist, the topic of college may never come up. Years of experience in the industry will open more doors than a particular diploma.
  5. Stay up to date. If you’re passionate about aesthetics, up to date on fashion trends, confident in your sense of style, have strong communication skills, and are willing to put in long hours for occasionally thankless work, a career as a fashion stylist may be ideal.

masterclass.com

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I had the same thought. There are so many of those out there it's really disheartening what people are willing to do to others.

Here's one that's been going strong for decades: you buy a home, public record, and shortly thereafter you receive an offer that for just $50.00 (or it could be higher now) this very official looking company can provide you with a certified copy of your Deed!

first of all the homeowner has the original once it's been recorded but even if they did want a certified copy they can order themselves directly from the clerk of court for approximately 3 or 4 bucks depending on how many pages!

I work for a probate/real estate attorney and I can't count how many phone calls I've received since the beginning of my employment asking about it. And those are just the ones who bother to look in to it!

@Lipstickdivado you come across the same thing in Ohio?

@Andreatoo , yes.  I'm not sure how bad it is now but a few years ago it was a huge problem.  We used to be able to get a free copy of any recorded document right on the county website.  Then these companies popped up offering copies of deeds to people for a fee.  All they were doing was printing the document from the county website.  It got so bad most counties started putting "unofficial" in huge letters right through the middle of the documents.  That put a stop to a lot of these scammers because they'd actually have to go to the recorder to get a copy or order it and pay for it.  LOL 

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Not sure about all the beating up on stylists on this thread.  If I were a stylist, I would think the coveted jobs would be dressing prominent people for important moments.  And no certification is required!

My former neighbor was lucky enough to style the gorgeous Halle Berry for her Oscar winning moment.  And it was quite a moment!  And she looked gorgeous!  And he had no formal styling education.

3C64278D-8C89-48D0-A470-645AC41CD31B.jpeg

Halle is gorgeous; the outfit is awful.   So "style" certainly is a matter of opinion. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I had the same thought. There are so many of those out there it's really disheartening what people are willing to do to others.

Here's one that's been going strong for decades: you buy a home, public record, and shortly thereafter you receive an offer that for just $50.00 (or it could be higher now) this very official looking company can provide you with a certified copy of your Deed!

first of all the homeowner has the original once it's been recorded but even if they did want a certified copy they can order themselves directly from the clerk of court for approximately 3 or 4 bucks depending on how many pages!

I work for a probate/real estate attorney and I can't count how many phone calls I've received since the beginning of my employment asking about it. And those are just the ones who bother to look in to it!

@Lipstickdivado you come across the same thing in Ohio?

@Andreatoo , yes.  I'm not sure how bad it is now but a few years ago it was a huge problem.  We used to be able to get a free copy of any recorded document right on the county website.  Then these companies popped up offering copies of deeds to people for a fee.  All they were doing was printing the document from the county website.  It got so bad most counties started putting "unofficial" in huge letters right through the middle of the documents.  That put a stop to a lot of these scammers because they'd actually have to go to the recorder to get a copy or order it and pay for it.  LOL 

@Lipstickdiva 

The 'entrepenuers' we'll call them are selling true certified copies but are charging $50 to $100! Nice little profit! Same with death certificates or birth certificates that you get from the state. The DCs are $5 if you purchase directly but the STATE encourages people to order from a 3rd party that charges considerably more!! These 3rd party vendors are right there on the state website?!!