Esteemed Contributor

Stinky clothes?

I rarely order fashion items anymore from QVC....but have never received anything that smelled or appeared to be worn. As I see reviews now, I am amazed to see the same complaints over and over about terrible smells in the clothing or receiving used or old clothing.....I would never order anything else if that is how my order arrived...,but is this legit? What’s causing these odors? And why do reviewers say they ordered the same item three times and they all smelled? Ridiculous imo

Honored Contributor

Re: Stinky clothes?

I can only say that I have only heard that particular complaint from a few posters here.  I've been with QVC almost from the beginning; all my friends and most of the women in my family and half the women in my office were QVC shoppers.  Now I have a couple of young nieces who are QVCers and not single person I know has ever made such a complaint.  I lean toward not believing it happens because the people who complain don't stop shopping here.  Some don't even return the item, they talking about washing their alleged smelly item.  Who does something  that....LOL    The natural reaction would be to get mad and return the smelly item and if it happened again, never shop with that retailer again because it's disgusting.  

Valued Contributor

I received some pieces with very strong odors I never smelled before.  Have no idea what they were.  Some in reviews mentioned dyes, others chemicals, mildew/mold.  

One time, a shirt smelled of perfume.  Obviously, a return.  

Esteemed Contributor

To read reviews, you would think hundreds of smelly garments are shipped out every day....I think some just like something to gripe about. I am glad you only had perfume and just returned it. It does make you wonder why anyone would keep buying the same garment expecting it not to have an odor....maybe they all came out of the same shipping container from overseas....
Super Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I rarely order fashion items anymore from QVC....but have never received anything that smelled or appeared to be worn. As I see reviews now, I am amazed to see the same complaints over and over about terrible smells in the clothing or receiving used or old clothing.....I would never order anything else if that is how my order arrived...,but is this legit? What’s causing these odors? And why do reviewers say they ordered the same item three times and they all smelled? Ridiculous imo

@lovesrecess 

I don't mind the smells of new items when I remove them from packaging, as those can be the result of the manufacturing, storage, shipping & even the fumigation process and a good washing has always taken care of that for me.  

What upset me lately was receiving a pair of Laurie Felt denim boyfriend jeans a couple weeks ago that REEKED of the smell of perfume...VERY STRONG perfume...so much so it triggered my asthma!  These HAD to have been worn for hours, not just tried on for size & fit for 5 minutes, because the stench was so strong.  How can someone wear something for hours and then return it without washing it!  Do people think other people want to try on clothes with their crotch germs, perspiration & scent from hours of wear all over them?  Have some common decency! 

And no one can tell me that maybe they were worn by a model...this was a plus size and no model has ever been on saying she wore this size...maximum I have ever heard any model in any clothing line say she wore is 18.

I repackaged them immediately and put everything outside to store in a clean garbage barrel overnight because I did not want that smell in my house overnight, and then put it out for the mailman the next day to return for exchange.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess 

Sorry I don’t agree with the majority of posts so far. Yes, some clothing lines reek with chemicals. Some countries spray pesticides on shipping containers. Some clothing dyes (especially indigo and black) smell like sulfur.

I will leave it at that.

Respected Contributor

What I don't understand is why some posters obviously keep shopping QVC when they've had recurring problems with the items they've received.  There are plenty of other places to shop.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@lovesrecess 

Sorry I don’t agree with the majority of posts so far. Yes, some clothing lines reek with chemicals. Some countries spray pesticides on shipping containers. Some clothing dyes (especially indigo and black) smell like sulfur.

I will leave it at that.

@butterfly123 

I recently got the sulfur smell from some evine jeans but not the rotten eggs sulphur but the you just lit a match smell so it wasn't unpleasant and it dissipated pretty quick. I've never received anything with that used stinky odor but I have received some plastic smells but again they dissipate pretty fast

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I order new clothing and as is clothing.  Haven't had any odor issues in 20+ years of shopping here.

Trusted Contributor

@butterfly123 : It seems jeans in the indigo color will have that smell that just cannot be removed no matter what you do. 

Not every item so no way to know when something will arrive with that smell. It does smell like pesticides and I have tried every supposed trick to remove but have wound up returning.