Respected Contributor

Southern California Girls...Spring Fashions?

what do you SoCal gals wear in April ? heading to San Diego.

Is it Beach weather in April? are sandals, shorts and sundresses appropriate? 

i'm coming from the Northeast we still wear a lot of fleece in the spring.  some days are pleasant but April is the cruelest month here haha

Trusted Contributor

Re: Southern California Girls...Spring Fashions?

Southern Californians, at least those I know, don't change wardrobes according to the season. We wear what the weather suggests. Check the weather before your trip and wear your shorts and sandals if it's in the 70's. Always take a jacket with you for cool evenings. Enjoy!

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Frequent Contributor

I've been here since '84 from CT. Plan on jeans / pants & a pair of shorts. Real nice weather doesn't start until July anymore.

Regular Contributor

You got it right on what to wear . We are having crazy weather at this time . Casual wear for day time and a cute dress , crops , top and a sweater for night time .

Have fun and enjoy Southern California .

Respected Contributor

Thank you!!

Can't wait to go!    i was in SD in Coronado area in early January almost 30 years ago!   it was a business conference held at Hotel Del so we spent most of the time in meetings. one day was  T-shirt weather!   walked on the beach barefoot!    Sun for days...

Esteemed Contributor

As others have suggested, check the weather before heading out. Normally, we have pretty good weather during the month of April, it's not going to be overly hot yet, but we have been having rain off and on since February.

A light jacket for the evenings, will definitely be warranted.

Enjoy your visit. I love San Diego, I was stationed there when I was in the Navy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was stationed at NAS Coronado. Everyone loved the weather because they came from different states. It was always too cold for me because I came from the San Fernando Valley. Too me San Deigo is cold in April.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sundresses and sandals would be appropriate. You also need to bring some sweaters because even though it might be warm during the day it can get cold at night.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

what do you SoCal gals wear in April ? heading to San Diego.

Is it Beach weather in April? are sandals, shorts and sundresses appropriate? 

i'm coming from the Northeast we still wear a lot of fleece in the spring.  some days are pleasant but April is the cruelest month here haha

@CatsyCline 

Go to weather.com and look at the 30 day forecast for that zip code.  

IMO, it's always best to have a variety of things and rely on layers, as is done in cooler regions.  The closer you are to the water, the cooler it gets at night.

Just as an example .... last week, all week, it was in the low 70s in Los Angeles.

Today the high is 62 degrees and the low tonight will be 47.    

Yesterday I ran errands and wore knee length shorts and a polo-type shirt.  Last night when I got home I put on my light weight fleece because it was "chilly".  

HTH

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Thank you!!

Can't wait to go!    i was in SD in Coronado area in early January almost 30 years ago!   it was a business conference held at Hotel Del so we spent most of the time in meetings. one day was  T-shirt weather!   walked on the beach barefoot!    Sun for days...

@CatsyCline  I wouldn't plan on warm weather. It's raining this weekend and more forecasted for Easter weekend, unfortunately. April can be quite cool so bring jeans and sweaters. I agree that it would be a good idea to check the weather reports beforehand. I hope you're able to enjoy some nice weather while you're here, in which case, the sundress and sandals will come in handy. I hope you get over to Coronado again...it's one of my favorite places to spend the day.