Super Contributor

I know this isn't a fashion subject, however, we talk about many subjects on these threads.......I was about to buy a Sleep Number bed and decided to do a little googling for reviews....there are so many really really bad, eye-opening reviews on these beds that I now can't make up my mind....anyone out there who loves their Sleep Number or hates it enough to share your opinion with me? Thanks,{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Esteemed Contributor

Prior to buying a sleep number bed we made the rounds of a couple of the big bedding stores and after laying on many and talking to the sales people finally made a decision. That bed cost about $2,200.00 and six months into it the middle was sagging. I have no recollection anymore what brand it was. So the next purchase was a sleep number bed. We saw them at a home show, never heard of them before that and we wound up ordering from the vendor there after laying on them and listening to the sales spiel. That was about 10 years ago, about 2 years into it the pump quit, got a replacement pump for which we were charged in the neighborhood of $80.00 and it's been fine since then. Your post got me to googling reviews, probably the same ones you spent time reading. Some were good some were not. But that's probably the case with every bed out there on the market. The only thing is that mine is a queen size and the only thing I have always noticed is that right in the middle it's hard due to it being a queen it has two separate air chambers so we could each find our own number. My husband liked a very firm mattress and kept his side on 100, me not so much, I use number 55. Now that I'm a widow if I needed to replace the bed I'd probably go for another sleep number bed IF I could get one with just one chamber because even though I still get in and lay on what was always MY side of the bed and fall asleep there, occasionally I wake up to find myself on that hard part in the middle and have to scoot back over. But I don't know if they come with just one chamber as I haven't researched it since I don't really need to replace mine yet.

I just came back to add to my post that I got to thinking about something. Being that mine was bought about 10 years ago and we didn't buy a top of the line model, it's entirely possible that since then that problem with the hardness right down the middle has been addressed even on the lower priced models with more filler and I think a lot of the models now not only have more fillers between the air chambers and the top of the beds but have thicker pillow tops as well so maybe that issue doesn't exist anymore.

Contributor

i ordered one from qvc about a year ago. i'd never recommend one to anybody. i don't find it comfortable at all on any number. this past week i bought a 3"" memory foam mattress topper which has added some cushy comfort to it.

Super Contributor
On 1/6/2015 shaggygirl said:

Prior to buying a sleep number bed we made the rounds of a couple of the big bedding stores and after laying on many and talking to the sales people finally made a decision. That bed cost about $2,200.00 and six months into it the middle was sagging. I have no recollection anymore what brand it was. So the next purchase was a sleep number bed. We saw them at a home show, never heard of them before that and we wound up ordering from the vendor there after laying on them and listening to the sales spiel. That was about 10 years ago, about 2 years into it the pump quit, got a replacement pump for which we were charged in the neighborhood of $80.00 and it's been fine since then. Your post got me to googling reviews, probably the same ones you spent time reading. Some were good some were not. But that's probably the case with every bed out there on the market. The only thing is that mine is a queen size and the only thing I have always noticed is that right in the middle it's hard due to it being a queen it has two separate air chambers so we could each find our own number. My husband liked a very firm mattress and kept his side on 100, me not so much, I use number 55. Now that I'm a widow if I needed to replace the bed I'd probably go for another sleep number bed IF I could get one with just one chamber because even though I still get in and lay on what was always MY side of the bed and fall asleep there, occasionally I wake up to find myself on that hard part in the middle and have to scoot back over. But I don't know if they come with just one chamber as I haven't researched it since I don't really need to replace mine yet.

I just came back to add to my post that I got to thinking about something. Being that mine was bought about 10 years ago and we didn't buy a top of the line model, it's entirely possible that since then that problem with the hardness right down the middle has been addressed even on the lower priced models with more filler and I think a lot of the models now not only have more fillers between the air chambers and the top of the beds but have thicker pillow tops as well so maybe that issue doesn't exist anymore.

Shaggygirl - thank you so much for taking the time to write this and research a little more for me.....what a nice thing to do for a stranger......{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Ours is at least ten years old when the numbers were one diget. LOVE it! Will never have anything else! And, you don't have to "turn" it!

Super Contributor
We bought one several years ago and neither of us liked it. It was never comfortable no matter what number we set it at. What a complete waste of money. We gave it to the guy who was delivering our new bed, a regular bed. I wouldn't recommend them.