Occasional Contributor
I measure 41 in fullest part of bust. Otherwise size 10/12 in pants. Tops anywhere from large to 1x. How do I order closest to bust or allow a few inches.
Occasional Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@20961   I always go to the measurements for the specific garment I want to order - & then check the description to see if it's a fitted, semi-fitted or relaxed fit.  Sometimes the  size I order can vary because of it.  I don't like tops tight across the chest either.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@nova wrote:

@20961   I always go to the measurements for the specific garment I want to order - & then check the description to see if it's a fitted, semi-fitted or relaxed fit.  Sometimes the  size I order can vary because of it.  I don't like tops tight across the chest either.  Good luck!

@nova: You are spot on! In addition to checking the intended fit of a garment, I also take into consideration the type of material used. That factor alone can make all the difference in getting the best fit. 

Honored Contributor

Depends on the fabric, cut & drape.

For myself, I generally add 2" ease for a simple, poly blend blouse.

Might need more or less depending on how it's supposed to fit.

Find a similar garment in your closet, lay it neatly on a bed or table, measure across the bust and multiply by 2.