Valued Contributor

I have worn size small for most of my adult life (am 66 now).  Size small used to be 6-8.  I am an 8.  Why are smalls so tight on me now?  Seems that small is a  4-6 now.  I know a number doesn't really matter but I wonder why it changed.  Mediums are a little big on me.   And I'm having to return things.

Honored Contributor

I think that as you get older while your weight is the same your body isn't.If the styles are more fitted then that might be the problem.

Respected Contributor

Re: Size small??

[ Edited ]

I agree with Whatnow. Changing body composition is part of the problem. Sometimes you just can't fit the clothes that are out there.

However, I will tell you that Q sizing isn't as consistent as it used to be. They do more "vanity" sizing and it's a trend that was begun by U.S. companies long ago

. Why is it that I wear a 10/12 as I did in 1990? I assure that I must weigh15-20 pounds heavier now than I did. Plus, there's no real agreement over what consitiutes a small or medium.

So it's not all you. Most of us are right there with you!

Super Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

I agree with Whatnow. Changing body composition is part of the problem. Sometimes you just can't fit the clothes that are out there.

However, I will tell you that Q sizing isn't as consistent as it used to be. They do more "vanity" sizing and it's a trend that was begun by U.S. companies long ago

. Why is it that I wear a 10/12 as I did in 1990? I assure that I must way 15-20 pounds heavier now than I did. Plus, there's not real agreement over what consitiutes a small or medium.

So it's not all you. Most of us are right there with you!

It depends on the manufacturer.........

Honored Contributor

I suppose it depends on where you are shopping and what brand.  My daughter, my sister and a couple of nieces are all "department store" size smalls and they wear a 4 or a 6.  My daughter plans to go into baby making mode soon and her doc advised her to gain 10 pounds since she was under her ideal weight.  8-10 is usually a medium.  It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Valued Contributor

But I can buy size 8's and they fit me perfectly.

Valued Contributor

Here is an older size chart:

http://jkhgroup.com/sizingchartwomens1CC.jpg

Honored Contributor

I have noticed the same thing whether it be the Q or other stores. I was always a small or xsmall, but I usually buy mediums in tops now. My weight has gone up a bit with menopause, but it also has redistrubuted to other places. I had to go up a bra size too. Getting older is just grand!

Honored Contributor

Sometimes in stores, I hold up a Small or Medium item, and it looks like a child's size.  I've bought several Large items, which look like a Small or small-ish Medium.   Leggings are the worst.  I go to the Large/ X-Large racks for leggings.  I don't like leggings/pants that are tight.  I like comfort, no matter what size it happens to be.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).