Respected Contributor

Re: Should there be an age limit for wearing Jean shorts

I never see older women around here wearing short-shorts.  My mother still has nice legs - She was in a couple of pageants when she was in college.  She dresses very modestly.  

Honored Contributor

As long as I don't scare anyone or give them nightmares.....

Super Contributor

I think it depends on the venue.  For example, if you're a shopping channel host getting ready to do a livestream from your employer's website, I don't think super short denim Daisy Dukes are appropriate--especially if you plan to get up and stretch or sit back for people to see you up close.  Even if you're getting ready to go to a child's birthday party afterwards, you can change when you're officially off duty.   

Honored Contributor

I never knew there were rules for wearing clothes. I wouldn't wear a big fur coat in summer heat but only because I would be hot. Is there a list of rules for this or is it just common sense?

Honored Contributor

I am 73, have (for 73) good legs, I wear jean shorts and twill shorts both, for yard work and for walking my dog. I don't generally wear them to public venues, but now that I know there are groups of old ladies (my age) sitting around discussing what "I" should or should not be wearing, I will definitely start wearing my shorts EVERYWHERE. LOL, good grief. The snooty criticize everything bunch that you describe need to mind their own business, perhaps their own lives would be happier.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I vote "NO"on age limit ..... but I'm definitely in favor of a "HIP" limit! Smiley LOL

Super Contributor

It was just a fun discussion where everyone aired their thoughts. In no way were we mandating fashion dos or don'ts. We meet every few weeks. A Lovely group of seniors I must say. We have come up with lots of fun conversations over the years. Please don’t take us too seriously!
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

OMG---this post really made me laugh---I have seen some gawd awful fashion faux pas and have often thought that, what was put forth for all to see, should be outlawed--but all in jest, of course!! But some could have burned your eyes if you stare too long!!!Woman Frustrated

@wagirl 

LOL .... it's not any different than being exposed to the plumber's bum-crack when he bends over. 

It may be "natural" but that doesn't mean others should be exposed to it .... it's "unsightly".  Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I never knew there were rules for wearing clothes. I wouldn't wear a big fur coat in summer heat but only because I would be hot. Is there a list of rules for this or is it just common sense?

@proudlyfromNJ 

Years ago, women would teach their daughters the basics about dressing, their wardrobes and how to dress appropriately for an occasion.

It wasn't really a dress code ... but not that long ago both men and women knew how to dress appropriatelty.

I don't know what happened.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just for the record, maybe my only assets are that I had thick, nice hair before chemo made my hair fall out and when it returned, it was white, curly and dry.  I had very good legs before Covid and chemo when I began throwing clots, perhaps from the combination. I had very nice eyes before cataract surgery, macular degeneration and issues with optic nerve damage. 

I never wore short shorts after high school except once when sorority went to the lake and I wore those belonging to someone else because I didn't have any shorts with me at that time.  I have worn Bermuda shorts and swim suits to go boating, skiing, etc. 

After I married, I found Bermuda shorts around my house to my liking.  I never wore them out unless we were going to the lake or beach. I never understood the need to show my legs. I would never wear denim cut-offs or very short-shorts. 

Just the way I was raised. Neither my daughter nor my DILs do either.  Just the way they were taught and one was a drum major and one modeled in college and beyond when they wore what was required of them.  They wear swim suits when appropriate and sometimes in very hot weather, around their house and ours, Bermuda shorts.  

They wear crop pants well because they are tall.  I do not wear crop pants because I am cropped enough. Having said all that, if you wish to do that, I don't care and won't look down on you.  It is your life and your decision.  I learned long ago that I have to live mine and you yours.  If you like them and your husband or significant other likes you in them, what does it matter what anyone else thinks, but please don't show up in church with Daisy Dukes on, at least not at my church.