Honored Contributor

Short, short, tops and sweaters - I guess this is what's in now?

I've not been in hardly any stores since the virus has happened, so I basically have no idea what clothing trends are in right now.  I'm 69 years old, but that doesn't mean that I no longer care about fashion or am interested in new styles!  I realize that there are certain things that I can no longer wear at my age, nor would I want to, but I like to be stylish and age appropriate.  

I got to go to a nice mall yesterday and visited quite a few of the shops that I used to shop in and --- boy --- was this ever an eye opener!  

So, it seems that the really short, short, tops of all kinds --- blouses, knit tops, t-shirts, sweaters --- just about all tops you can think of are out in full force!  These are the kind of things I used to wear when I was in my late teens, 20s and even early 30s!!!!  

I could hardly find anything at all decent and appropriate for myself.  Either too young or too old!  I no longer work so I am not looking for the work style clothing that I used to shop for.  And so, the selection I was seeing was very minimal.  

DH said --- did you find some nice things?  I was like --- sheesh --- I found a couple things but it was like searching for a need in a hay stack!  I told him if I were at least 45 years younger, I would have been in luck! LOL! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Short, short, tops and sweaters - I guess this is what's in now?

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1   Perhaps your Mall caters to a younger crowd (I think most malls do)...so you might be fishing in the wrong pond.   If you check out Lands End or LLBean, maybe Soft Surroundings,Talbots,JJilll or Nordstrom's you might find clothes that appeal to you.  I think you just might have chosen a venue that is predominately selling to a younger crowd and not reflective of what the general population might be interested in.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree @AngelPuppy1  every sweater I pick up half of it is missing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  It's confusing to me, too. Although I enjoy wearing a shorter sweater w/ jeans, it seems many others are wearing leggings and joggers. If that were me, I'd definitely want to wear a longer sweater to cover up "certain areas".

So, what are the women wearing w/ these leggings? There must be longer tops/tunic tops on Q since they sell so many leggings, jeggings, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   Perhaps your Mall caters to a younger crowd (I think most malls do)...so you might be fishing in the wrong pond.   If you check out Lands End or LLBeann, maybe Soft Surroundings,Talbots,JJilll or Nordstrom's you might find clothes that appeal to you.  I think you just might have chosen a venue that is predominately selling to a younger crowd and not reflective of what the general population might be interested in.  

@phoenixbrd   I agree, but it seems that clothing, in general, now appeals to the younger crowd. It's difficult to find clothing at our age unless you go to the more expensive stores/sites. I suppose they think we have more money to spend....NOT.

Honored Contributor

LOOK at the WIDTH of the sleeves on those "short" tops.    If they are very NARROW.......that is a Junior-Size item. 

The stores seem to be flooded with them......maybe that's all that came off the cargo ships.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

If you look around, younger people wear styles.  They do not try to cover up anything.  That would be body shaming to them.  

I don't think fashion really matters either to the regular world so much, because I would say "trends" not fashion.. Except when younger ones go out dressed like a pop star. 

We are looking for old lady clothes.  Remember the little old ladies when you were young?  Was that what Dillards carried?  

A lot of older ladies did then and still do dress like Nancy Regan, but that is so out now too for common folk.  

To me, fashion is really for younger people.  My only goal is to be comfortable, appropriate and nicely dressed and groomed.  But that's just me and not having to fret about it is a bonus of being older and retired.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sorta makes sense.  Waistlines went up, so it follows that top hemlines would also go up. 

Honored Contributor

Try Bloomingdales or Nordstrom. I am tall so I could never wear short tops. The only place I have seen short tops is in the Junior Dept. Even Macy's has a nice selection of tops that aren't short @AngelPuppy1 .

Super Contributor

Fashion trends feel like a pendulum. Once the trend gets so mainstream, it's time for a new trend that's totally the opposite. We've had long tops now for an extended period and you will often read on these boards that some QVC shoppers are tired of the long, tunic looks. The opposite of long is short and the trendy tops are now not just short, but extremely short. During the summer, many of the younger women I saw wore midriff length tops. No surprise to me that the colder weather trend is for shorter tops as well. Guaranteed that less fabric won't result in a smaller price!