Respected Contributor

Re: Shopoholics ODAT Wednesday 11/11/15

Linda, you aren't kidding about the roomful of Marines!  Almost glad little DD has to work that weekend.  Smiley Happy  I start swooning as we walk into the hotel.

It's crazy to me, looking back on all the things that have changed since DD announced her decision. Our strange and crazy life.  It has not been bad.  But I sure was depressed at that job in Dallas area.  That was a rough patch for me.  I've had plenty of moments of asking God what He is doing.  I guess He is teaching me to wait!  And be content in the waiting.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies....a big thank you to all the Veterans out there for serving our country.

Twinny I am thinking of you today hoping your meeting about your mom goes well....a very hard decision for all your family. 

Charleene  a new puppy....how old is Harper?  Black dogs have a very special place in my heart...my last two were black Labs.  iT has been pretty nice here as far as not being too cold so my furnance is not coming on so much.....if only our winter would stay like this.....everybody is waiting for the other shoe to drop!     i don't think I'd like that living arrangement either for my daughter.  

pInky your oranges sound interesting.  Especially when you wrote they have been in the oven...........if you have time could you explain how it's done if not too complicated.  we are having a rainy day here and it has gotten chilly.

LindaL I hope your DH club goes ok today........how is your GS friend that was operated on  for a brain tumor?  i often think of him.

Kathleen I hope you have a great weekend coming up.....sounds like you had a busy few days .   iS that a Christmas fair you are going to? ( I forgot the name and I don't know how to go back and read the other posts LOL)

Rosa your weekend coming up sounds great too....hope the weather is nice.....I had checked out the poncho and I think you are right in that it will look great on a taller person as you said you are.

I also have several scarves but never seem yo know how to tie them....they always look so great on other people.....I even went out and bought one of those scarf holder hangers......and there they sit!

I had ran over to the Mall this morning to return a few things to Macy's.....the place was empty....I did not leave empty handed though......picked up a few fleece pull over (like cuddle duds) that is my uniform staple for the winter.  i had a bunch of coupons ..that this time I remembered to take with me.

Other than that nothing else going on......I should take down my Halloween decos and put up the few Thanksgiving ones.  i will keep my regular fall ones up till Christmas ones go up.        Have a nice day everyone......Marijane

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Snicks  -  Thank you for starting us today, hope you do not get the severe storms they are calling for.  My previous dog hated storms and I would either not go out that day or rush home before the storm,  What we do for our furbabies.

Pinky -  Hope you are feeling better, you are such a crafty person, I have no talent for stuff like that.

Rosa -  Sounds like a fun weekend coming up.  Your outfit sounds great.

LindaL -  Sorry DH couldn't make the walk today, hope he does well at "the club".

Charlene - Congrats on the new puppy, you are braver than I am.  I am not much on housebreaking, I love the name Harper.

Kathleen - Have fun at the ball, the Market sounds like fun. What is for supper tonight?

Marijane - I always want ot buy scarves, by I know I will never wear them.  I do love tomsee them on other people, but, I just can't make myself wear them.

Well, need to do a few things around here, I haven't done much the last couple days because of this cold.  Just wanted to say Thank You to our Veterans and to those serving presently.  Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Respected Contributor

I found my cards at the dollar store. They even had Veterans Day cards. On of my favorite pictures was one of my uncles and dad. My mom had seven brothers. Six of them served in WWII. My dad and mom married during the war. The picture was of all the fellas in a line in their uniforms. Love that picture. My moms youngest brother passed a few years ago. He was buried with military honors. He was Navy!!!
Respected Contributor

I think the Nutcracker market is a Christmas bazaar, not sure. I love the black dogs too!

I never got the hang of scarves - too hot and bust is too big. lol
Respected Contributor

Hi girls! 

Happy Veterans' Day to all who have served!

It's another gorgeous day out - warm and sunny.  I want to go out and enjoy it, but don't need to do any shopping nor can I think of someplace to go...maybe we'll just go for a ride. 

I got a coupon for 15% off an entire purchase at Ollie's, You never know what you'll find there, but I did need kitty litter, which they always have at a good price, and they also had a good deal on bird seed - 20 pounds for $5.99, so I got two bags; I should be set for them until the end of January, considering what I already have. There were no bargains on the dog treats, but I was surprised to find Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce - I hadn't had that since I was a kid, and grew up on it.  My other used to make "Polish spaghetti" (spaghetti with catsup) until she heard about Chef Boyardee; even then it was a couple of years before she realized it was better if it was heated up first... Cat Frustrated Anyway, I got a few jars and hope it's as good as I remembered it being. I had found it on-line but didn't buy it as it was very expensive; at Ollie's it was $1.19 for a large jar.

I wanted to get a ticket for the Tchaikovsky concert but it turned out that although you can get tickets for everything else at a particular venue, tickets for the CSO have to be obtained directly from them, so I'll probably end up getting it by phone.  I did get a ticket for a play called "Harvey" for tomorrow night. I had never heard of it, but apparently it's a comedy about a man who has an imaginary friend - a huge rabbit named Harvey - and when his sister tries to get him committed to a mental institution by some error she turns out to be committed instead. For only $2 more than a movie ticket I figured it would be worth checking out. 

I went to Sam's for a slice of pizza for dinner and some frozen yogurt for the dogs, but they had only chocolate yogurt.  I ended up being tempted by a take-and-bake pizza, thinking it was the same as the kind they sell by the slice, but sadly, that turned out to be another mistake...when will I ever learn to limit myself to either ready-made take-out pizza or the kind I make myself? Cat Frustrated I saw a sweater I loved, but resisted...

Pinky, I'd also love to know how you dry those oranges.

Charlene, congratulations on the new baby; cute name.  Will you post pictures to FB? I can understand your trepidation about the living arrangements for DD.

Rosa, we have a "Christmas Market" every year; I may check it out for some little Christmas gifts, although we also have some flea markets I keep meaning to check out but never have.  Hope you find some good stuff.

LindaL, go to the LL Bean website and check out their "Wicked Good" slippers. They're the most comfortable ones imaginable, and oddly they not only keep your feet warm in cold weather, but they also keep your feet cool in summer. I love mine; my late husband loved his so much I buried him in them! 

Praying for your, twinny - I know you have to make some tough decisions.

Well, guess I'd better get moving, since it gets dark so early. Have a blessed day, everyone! 

Valued Contributor

Hi Gang! Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back online. I've been doing arts and crafts all afternoon, and it's been a pretty fun day.

Susan, I can do the simple things well, and love working with flowers, but I'm limited to how much I can have around the house with asthma, so I love projects like I did today.

Genny and Arlene, The oranges are so EASY!!!! All you need to do is slice them in 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices, and place them on an oven rack. I lined mine with foil. They go into a 150 degree oven, and stay in about 4 hours. A litle extra time doesn't hurt at all. Mine seemed to need it with all the rain today. I turned them every so often, maybe once an hour? That is it! I saw online where once they were done, someone placed cloves around the center part. It looks so cute! Just like a little wreath!

I did get some branches from the tree, but gave up when DH wasn't even able to cut through them. The ones I got I clipped pieces of the branches and filled a neat container with them, and little pinecones I preserved last year. I made a small wreath from the greens that cover the tree pole (?),  and wove some batttery operated lights through it. I just need to pick up some berry picks, and they'll be done. It was a perfect day for these projects, and I truly enjoyed myself.

Please try the oranges gals, so easy, so neat on the tree, garlands where ever you'd like. pinky

Trusted Contributor

tHanks Pinky for the directions....sounds like something I can do.  yOur other decos you did today sound great....I have loads of those small battery,timer lights...in all colors..harvest colors,Chtistmas,plain etc..that I put aroind according to the season.

Valued Contributor

I snapped some photos so you can see what I've been up to. The greens don't look like much work, but remember, I've pulled or cut them all from an old tree we'd saved. Not too easy, but I wanted some full branches. It was lots of fun to do something creative again, and it felt so good to have saved at least some of the old tree. I'll post the wreath and green container again once I've finished them. BTW, the cloves are optional, I just liked the look. You can make a small hole with a paring knife, and hang the slices or whatever you'd like to do.fall crafts 003.JPGfall crafts 005jpgfall crafts 006.JPG

Valued Contributor

I also meant to add I'm sorry I'm not so skilled in  photography, but you can at least get to see everything. pinky