Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day At a Time - April 1, 2018

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and Happy Easter to those who celebrate.  The day started off really sunny and now the clouds are moving in.  It's pretty chilly out there too.  I just ate a couple of eggo waffles and am thinking about what to wear to my niece's house for dinner.  She keeps her thermostat on the low side so I will probably wear some kind of winter sweater.  I think I have one that is a pretty peach color so that will be my nod to Spring and Easter.

Image result for easter greetings

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day At a Time - April 1, 2018

Hello Ladies....Happy Easter to all who celebrate....we are having the opposite of your weather Bernie....it was cloudy and rainy this morning but now the sun is trying to come out...we have a winter snow warning for 2-4 inches overnight.....not an April fools joke either; but I don't believe it.    Have a nice dinner at your nieces house today.

We will be having a quiet day...just the two of us and a Yankee game on tv!  IT almost seems nice to be sitting here drinking my coffee and on my iPad and not having to be rushing around before the onslaught of people arriving.....

That's all from here ...have a nice day everyone.......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread and for the lovely graphic in recognition of the important event many recognize and celebrate. It is 41 degrees, and cloudy with rain.  I can remember when I was young, we looked forward to a new Easter outfit complete with hat. Now, I sit here wearing sweats and trying to keep warm.

Marijane--April is not off to a good start weather-wise. I do hope you don't get the snow. I haven't looked at our forecast.  I agree that it is nice at times to just sit at home and relax.

I do think the TSV is cute but I don't think I would wear it much. I did check out the WEN TSV for tomorrow. I don't need it but will look for some other specials. I download my April free book from Amazon and may be looking at an Amazon Prime movie later today.."Aftermath" as it is based upon a true event: Two strangers' lives become inextricably bound together after a devastating plane crash. Inspired by actual events, AFTERMATH tells a story of guilt and revenge after an air traffic controller's (Scoot McNairy) error causes the death of a construction foreman's (Arnold Schwarzenegger) wife and daughter. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

It's 32 degrees outside, guess I'll be wearing my winter coat too.  I dress for the weather, not the calendar.  

I remember the excitement I felt as a child when we went to shop for my new spring coat and hat, Easter dress and new patent leather shoes.  Since the next new coat and fancy outfit wasn't going to come again until fall/winter (Thanksgiving/Christmas) it was such a big deal.  

We would go to a place called Robert Hall for the outerwear.  I loved wearing hats and often got a coat and hat that were coordinated.  I thought I was rich because they sent us out with a coat and hat packaged in a cardboard box with the plastic handle.

I wore a pretty dress, new white patent leather shoes, new coat, new hat and white gloves, of course.  Sometimes I carried a little purse, sometimes not.

I just went through some pictures that I inherited when Ma died.  Here is one of me and my middle sister in April 1969.  I'm in the pink, rofl.

IMG_1477 (340x350).jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--You were definitely dressed in Easter finery. I wish I had pictures from my childhood.

I just watched a lady on HSN pack a week's or ten days of clothing in a convertible cabin bag that converted from under the seat to a full carryon. She doesn't have to carry meds, backup meds, a camera, charger, etc.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Bernie..Iremember Robert Hall stores,they must have been a chain as I grew up in Bklyn.  my mom made allour clothes..we are 5 girls and no boys...my sisters all can still sew anything but I guess me being the last I never did learn.  She would make me a spring coat and dress to go with the coat..she would even put a matching lining in the coat the same as the dress so if the coat blew open you could see the matching dress/linimg.  I would always get patent leather shoes and of course a straw hat..always wanted one with streamers down the back ...and of course white gloves...along with a handbag.  I always wanted a store bought clothes .she would always say you will look like the other kids.  

Bernie....Robert Hall jingle ...".RH this season...RH this season...will show the reason..low overhead ,low overhead....".this was the commercial we'd see on tv....contributed by DH....there is a part missing he says.    He's still thinking about the rest of it...LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and Happy Easter to all who celebrate.  I'm back from a packed church service.  I don't think I have ever seen the church so full since I have been attending (several years).  And, this was only one of four services (usually three, but they had sunrise service as well.)  I'm sure next Sunday will be another story.  

We are expecting temperatures in the mid 80's today, and it is currently 70 degrees and cloudy.  Quite a contrast to other locations, but I like it this way.  

I got some good news this morning.  The man with dementia who was left by his "girl friend" was at church with the widow of a lady whose husband was in DH's facility before he died.  I know she is a nice person, and hopefully will help him if his dementia grows worse.  Whew!

Hope you have a good time at your niece's house, Bernie.  That is a cute picture of you and your sister.  I used to get an Easter outfit and usually an Easter hat every year.  I think we also wore white gloves and often had new shoes.  I was thinking of that this morning since very few ladies wore hats, and no white gloves for sure.  Times change.

Have a nice, if quiet day with your DH, Marijane.  I remember Robert Hall in Maryland as well.  Not sure that I got any clothing from them, but perhaps.  Your Mom's sewing sounds wonderful, but I would have probably wanted to get "store bought" clothes as well.  My Mom was very good at sewing, but she was extremely slow.  My big deal as a kid was when I could finally get some new clothes since I had mostly used "hand me downs" from cousins when I was young (at least that is my memory). 

No TSV for me, Jean.  I like some of the prints, but I do not wear skorts.  I might have done so in the past, but I have some pretty ugly veins popping out right around my knee. And, clothing that comes near that point seem to emphasize them.  It is probably just in my mind, but.....  Hope you enjoy any Wen items that you order.  I still have not tried his products, and I'll probably continue to hold out since the "drug store" stuff works fine for me.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  DH was so sleepy yesterday, so my hope he will be more awake this afternoon.  I'm headed to the gym soon, and I'll be there to feed him dinner.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda