Honored Contributor

Re: Sears to spin off Lands' End

On 3/18/2014 Tootie15 said:
On 3/18/2014 betteb said:

Sears went seriously down hill when KMart bought them. May be different elsewhere, but KMart here is very dirty, trashy and higher priced than it's competitors.

You used to be able to buy good clothing at Sears, but now their stuff is just discount store throw away items.

I agree .... and our Sears is just as dirty as Kmart .....

KMart here is just kind of sad too. They just sat back and let Walmart gobble them up. Didn't do anything except maybe put in Martha Stewart home goods. Just sat in old buildings and faded away.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2014 Sassenach1 said:

Lands End was very successful as a catalog/internet seller. I would imagine that they would stay with that business plan. I don't see them going to retail as the overall trend is more towards internet.

Returning Land's End to its roots as a (successful) mail order retailer (catalog/internet) certainly makes the best sense as a business plan for the new owner. You can read daily of one company or another shutting down X number of stores or closing unprofitable locations. It happens even in the big city like Chicago. So far in 2014 our downtown Sears and Eddie Bauer have closed. Before the year ends there's sure to be another.

The worse thing Land's End could do is to try to open brick and mortar stores. The overhead alone is too much to properly sustain a small retailer today. Now if it's purchased by a company with deep pockets they may try to open a few stores.

Super Contributor

I live within about a ten minute drive to a Sears store but only go there once or twice a year, if that as someone above said.

The best department is the optical and I've had pretty good luck in getting glasses there. I love sunglasses but do not like myself in regular glasses and can't wear contact lenses. I was going to "Lenscrafters" but had very bad luck with their frame selection (for myself) and had to return glasses that were pushed just to make a sale. I went to Sears and had better luck in finding a decent frame that suited my face and felt the salesperson was being more honest and had a better sense re. what looked the best.

The other thing I discovered about the North Hollywood store that I love is the jewelry repair counter. It is upstairs with the Optical and Hearing Aid section at the end past the appliances. It is very convenient and the prices are good. I go there for watch batteries and have had a ring sized and some things repaired and was very satisfied.

While at Sears, I checked out their refrigerators and was shocked to discover the size that fits my space seems to no longer be made. It is a General Electric 17.? cu ft. and the newer ones are all too tall. I don't want to size down to a 14 foot so am going to keep the one I've had since 1982 approx. until the manufacturers can deliver the right size. I've checked out all major brands and why they're doing this is beyond me. I'm planning to contact some of them to ask. If it isn't broken, why fix it? PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE?

On my way out from the store I checked out their clothes and did find a couple of tops on sale that weren't bad that I purchased. Some of their handbags weren't too bad.

I would never go to Sears on a weekend as it is overrun with the most disgusting group of shoppers you can imagine with their entire families in tow and all the kids ill-behaved, screeching, crying, running around and touching everything their germy hands can. This happens to a lesser degree every day of the week but especially in the afternoon as they've picked up the brats from school and stop in on their way home.

When I went to pick up my glasses, there was a five year old girl or so trying on all the frames and messing up the entire display. The kid was just "playing" and one of the adults was getting the glasses. The other supposed parent just sat there letting this brat contaminate and make a mess not saying a word.

After they left, I said something to the salesperson and she agreed with me and told me some of the most unbelievable things that they find in the store. Of course this same thing goes on in all of the local stores like Target and KMart. People need to learn some manners and know that shopping malls and stores are not playgrounds.