Honored Contributor

Re: Saying that clothes make you look SKINNY... Just STOP IT!!!

I think we all want to dress to look our PERSONAL best and that should be the emphasis; not identifying a specific body type as ideal.

Honored Contributor

Then again there are designers I never go near bcause their designs would just emphasize my busty, hippy figure, so I don't even mind Susan talking skinny  -  when I can see for myself whether she's right. 

Besides, I think women talk out of both sides of their mouths on this issue.  Most of us don't expect model-slim, tight figures, but I think I could safely bet my wardrobe money for the next 5 years that there are at least 50 complaints that items make the models look fat than there are that something looks wonderful on one of the larger models.

If we don't want the designers to tell us, then we have to speak and act accordingly.  

Respected Contributor

If you're not "skinny",  no your pants aren't going to make you look so, but they sure can make you look thinner.  Just like certain clothes can make you look heavier.  The pitch should just be that it is flattering on all body types.  There's nothing insulting about assuming everyone wants to look their best in their clothing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As much as some folks might not want to believe it....Yes, some clothes do make you look larger than you really are and some clothes make you look smaller than you really are. That's the hard, honest truth.

You shouldn't speak negatively about Susan saying certain clothes make you look skinny becuase (a) it's absolutely true (that's why I love some of her clothes so much!...and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment) and (b) a majority of women want clothes that make them look thinner.

If you're upset that this is the case, your concern is misplaced. You should speak out against the sentiment held by millions of women that thinner is more desirable--if you like. Just don't blame Susan for asknowledging a fact that is way out of her control. Really.

Honored Contributor

I love being skinny.  That's a fact.  I don't want to be FAT.  The one word I don't see anyone saying.  If you're politically correct you say curvy instead... even if you're obese.  As it is, most American women are 10 to 20 lbs overweight.  Obesity is still a minority.  Women will not buy clothes that claim it will make you look fat.

Trusted Contributor

It's rediculous to think that an item of clothing will look the same on everyone.  To me, that's why we see sometimes reviews split about half & half negative & positive.  Not everything is for everyone, but Susan says a lot of non pc things, but who could take her seriously?

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I think we all want to dress to look our PERSONAL best and that should be the emphasis; not identifying a specific body type as ideal.

I have an ideal butt.

Just sayin'

Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

No one wants their clothes to make them look fat!

clothes do not make people look fat;.... people make clothes look the way they do because of how they are bullt.  I have never seen a heavier person look "skinny" because of clothes. NEVER. 

Gee, hope you're posting this comment in response to endless posts I see on here about how such and such makes even the thin models look fat!

How about all the posts that shame women for not wearing make-up?  How about all the posts at the beginning of sandal season telling women that they shouldn't wear sandals if they don't paint their toe nails?

Seems odd to single out Susan Graver for saying what just about everyone on all the shopping channels and many of the posters here on the forum say!

Uh ohhhh, my bad.  I wear sandals without painting my toenails.  Do I  need to wear gloves because I don't paint my fingernails?  Oh the horror of it all LOL!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

SG has about 9 hours dedicated to her today plus multiple appearance to promote her vest on other designers time.  You can turn off Q for today or listen to more of her scripted presentations to find out how to put your outfits together. Repeatedly she tells us about the designers and coordinating team that the Q has working with her on her designs.   It has begun to sound to me like QVC now owns a major piece of her business.  If so that could be part of why she has increasingly felt the urgent need to push her products.  She knows her constant talking over the hosts is rude and she says so.  She says that she is just passionate.   For those who have been with her for years we know her passion of years past but for some reason that kind of push is getting out of hand.  I hope whatever is going on does not make her a nervous wreck and ruin her health.  QVC has programs all over the world and Susan sells there also.  That is a lot of pressure and Audrey is no longer here to share the load.  Susan relied on her.  She always spoke about how much the work Audrey did for SG meant.  

Honored Contributor

Doesn't bother me.  She can say everything she sells will make you look skinny.  That isn't a buzz word that would make me buy.  I know what styles/cuts work better on my shape and what I should stay away from.