Super Contributor

I am a frequent Ann Taylor shopper.  They are currently having a 50% off promotion for most everything on their site.  However, I noticed that an item I was interested in (petite size) was not eligible for the promotion, but the regular size in the same item is eligible.  I was curious as to why and contacted AT via email.  They replied pretty quickly (which I appreciated) but they said that sales prices are based on inventory and that it is common in retail that different sizes in trhe same item may be priced differently.  I honestly have to say that I have never heard of this.  Has anyone experienced this?

I'm just curious.  This is obviously not earth shattering and is a very small matter in the grand scheme of things, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

Honored Contributor

It does make sense to me - those sales are a way to weed their inventory and if they don't have to weed a particular size category or color, then they don't put it on sale.

I've seen sale racks with what looks like the very same top at 2 or 3 different prices and it wasn't a mistake.  The items came into inventory at different times and they probably paid different prices for them.

Also -  think about regularly priced clothing -  it's very common for Women's sizes to cost more than misses -  partially because they need more fabric, but also because they have to do a whole separate design and then they manufacture many fewer in those sizes.

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat

Hi Zoe, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum with talls.  I have seen talls not on sale while 'regular' sizes were.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I can understand the practice in one sense (if they have less inventory, why put it on sale), but it just seems doesn't seem like great PR.  I spend a lot of money at AT and I have to say that I now feel a little bit hesitant to spend so much if I can't take advantage of the sale (not that AT cares, LOL).  I realize that I am just small potatoes in Ann Taylor's world, but still...

I also really dislike the practice of charging more for larger sizes (I believe Talbots does that).  I understand the financial reasons behind it and I know that all of these places are running a business, but other retailers seem to be able to make a profit without resorting to this type of tactic.

Oh well, as I said this is really not a big deal.  First world problem, ya know?

Honored Contributor

In major chain stores, the sales are determined by the season (date) the clothing came in.  In Ralph Lauren the same print of the same style shirt would all be on markdown at the same style.  They also have a "max markdown meaning the item will never go below a certain price even with a coupon.