Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JAN 15)

Greetings, shopping friends. My cat got me up at 4am so it will be a long day as I stayed up, knowing that I wouldn't go back to sleep.

I've been setting the timer with Alexa and doing sorting and cleaning periods interspersed with rest periods. A half hour is the most I work as I lose motivation and get tired. I get more accomplished when I rotate periods of work with periods of rest.

I don't need the TSV. I picked up a similar one at Kohls during a sale as it was needed and it kept my card active. Speaking of cards, I also checked my cards out online today to check that all was in order.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JAN 15)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  It probably feels like afternoon for you since you got up so early, but.....  Anyway, it is a cloudy day here, but it should make it up to the 70's today.  I'm happy with these temperatures.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from my friend, Jo Ann, and things have changed again.  She had planned to move to Colorado where she grew up and her sisters live, but now she will be moving to California near her son and family.  She was surprised to find a retirement facility that she could afford in CA.  She has a young grandson, and I know she will love being near him and her son and daughter-in-law.  I don't know many other details, but she said that she is busy getting her house on the market, and hopes to move in the next few months.

Things have also changed with my DGS and his fiance.  Her parents had offered to pay for their wedding, but they have withdrawn that offer.  So, it seems like they will probably just go to the courthouse to be married.  While I am disappointed, I certainly can appreciate their not wanting to spend money they don't have on a wedding.  Plus, I was not looking forward to the expense of traveling to Maryland for the event.  

Like you, I don't need the TSV, Jean.  But, I am considering a couple of other purchases.  One is the Q2 Big Deal for tonight/tomorrow -- Linea faux suede jacket.  Absolutely not a need, so I'm trying to be strong.  But, it looks like a classic jacket, which could be useful for many.  My problem is that it probably would not be that useful for me due to our weather.  The other item is a set of microfiber dusting gloves and glass cleaning mitts (V34849).  I am not sure I would use them as much as I should or if I could get something similar at a lower price (or with free shipping) elsewhere.  I decided not to rush into the purchase.  If I hadn't seen them, I would not be considering them.  That is not a good sign.

I am planning to meet a lady who is moving away for lunch today.  Also planning to do some cleaning, a little baking, plus reading.  One of the OLLI classes I am taking is about Pearl Buck, and I am re-reading "The Good Earth" since it will be discussing.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

I had my GP follow-up appointment on Monday morning at which time I told her that I had a cold and a bad cough.  Off to the drugstore to get cold and cough meds.  My ribs hurt from coughing.  I have done nothing all week except rest and drink lots of hot lemonade which helps the cough.  My GP was happy with my test results so that is a good thing.

We only got an inch of snow a couple of days ago.  We are getting sleet this morning with a possibility for snow on Friday.

Lunch is soup.  Supper is debatable.  Dishes are for my DH.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--You now have me interested in the Q2 Big Deal. I love jackets, and I have to admit that I don't need one. Your DGS and finance are making a wise financial decision. Starting married life in debt is not a good move. 

Twinny--It is good that your GP is happy with your test results. I do hope that you get rid of the bad cough. Soup for lunch is a good move in your chilly weather.

I need to go to the Post Office, after which I plan to rest and read and then do some more work provided I don't get too comfy.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning all - Jean, thanks for getting us started today.  Say "hi" to Midnight for me.  Linda, I think that with most of the families I see around us these days, the parents are telling the adult children the dollar amount ($2,000, $5,000 etc.) that they are willing to contribute to a wedding, and then the children take it from there.  It's just sad that in your family situation an offer was made and then withdrawn.  Hope it all works out for the best.  Also - weddings in our area of So Cal for the most part are pretty low-key these days.  Most are small and held at outdoor locations, maybe on an old farm.  I'm sure that there are some over-the-top ones still going on, but most of the young people I know are keeping it realistic.  Twinny, glad to hear that you had good test results.  Hope you get over your cold soon.

Yesterday was our 2nd opinion consultation at USC.  The drive into downtown LA went okay, but the drive home was an absolute bear.  No way we want to keep making that trip.  Anyway, the dr. (an expert on prostate cancer) didn't tell us anything new, except that he'd recommend Lupron Depo (sp?) shots to shrink the prostate followed by robotic surgery.  He said that 80% of the surgeries are done that way now. Our local dr. doesn't do robotic surgery.  He's a little older and not up on the latest surgical techniques.  When I suggested to my DH that we contact a couple of doctors located closer to us to see if they're up-to-date, he got kind-of angry and said that he doesn't want to drive all over consulting different doctors.  Even though the bone scan test came back good, neither doctor has been particularly encouraging.  We haven't heard anything about the high rates of survival for men with prostate cancer, or about how good it is that we caught it early.  That's what family and friends keep wanting to tell us.  What the USC doctor told us yesterday was that my DH should have his prostate removed within the next 2-4 weeks, and not to delay in any way.  

Meanwhile, it looks as if my DS might have a job lined up, which is good.  The two of us might make a trip to the recycling center with our bags of plastic and aluminum later today, followed by a trip to a couple of thrift stores.  It's been something he and I have always enjoyed doing together, though my heart just isn't into it today.  Still, it would be good to keep busy.  Then this afternoon we have another appt with our local urologist to discuss the same stuff we discussed with the USC doctor yesterday.  We appreciate your continued prayers!

Waves to everyone!  ~ Charlene 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

Well...I'm on a roll with appliances breaking down. Monday I was peeling potatoes for dinner and the garbage disposal broke. Honestly, I hope that's the last one. The parts for the dishwasher repair just arrived yesterday so that will be this weekend's project. The garbage disposal makes me nervous because that involves plumbing. Plumbing has not been a "friendly" repair/replacement for our household. LOL

The storage cubes just arrived today so I plan on clearing out the last of the boxes in the spare room to stash them all in there. The guest closet will be first on the list and will probably be done this week. I will try to remember to post how I like them and how much I could get in them. (especially with sheets and t shirts)

I wasn't qucik enough to catch the UPS driver this morning to give him his Christmas gift. I like to give the "regular" drivers a little gift because they have a long walk to our door. Today was the first day for him and I missed him at the door. Oh well, I guess I will just be later than usual.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/eveing.

p.s---I 'm having some computer issues or maybe it's QVC so it this posts twice or only half a message that's why. It's one of those days.

Hope everyone feels better that are dealing with cold/flu.    

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  How are you feeling today and how's Midnight been doing (aside from getting you up before the crack of dawn)?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  Hopefully Jo Ann will be happy near her son in CA. 

Having a lavish wedding doesn't guarantee a long marriage however I do feel a little bad that the family won't be able to get together to witness such a milestone event in your grandson's life.

I have a Hoover Runabout upright corded vacuum (has a bag) circa 2001 Woman Very Happy  I know my time is coming and I'll probably get a Shark when it happens. 

Honored Contributor

@twinny70   I'm glad your tests results came out good and I'm sorry that you have a cold.  

Honored Contributor

Hi Charlene @cerb  I understand why you'd like to seek out doctors that are up on the latest technology.  I can also appreciate your husband's point of view.  Your husband sounds alot like me Woman Happy  He might be thinking that time's a wasting and get this out of me Heart

I hope that the job comes through for your son.