Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, SEPT. 19)

RockChick - thanks for the kind words, I just got busy this week and didn't log on. Twinny - sorry about the nosebleeds, hope it heals up quickly.  That must have been scary abut your mother, glad to know that she's okay.

The as-is crossbody bag I ordered is A275935, I got it in the med. brown color.  If I don't like that one, I am looking at A266969, another Tignanello bag, but it's not as-is.  I have a black crossbody that I really like, but now I'd like to have one in brown.  I love to wear crossbody bags when I'm shopping because they leave my hands free and I feel safer.

Another lunchtime special I bought a couple of weeks ago was a sampler assortment of poo-pourri.  It's okay if you laugh.  I've seen the presentations many times and was intrigued, but never made the purchase.   But boy, have I been having fun with that sampler.  It's fun to try all the different fragrances and see which ones I like best.  Who knew I'd have so much fun with poo-pourri!!!

I did finally stop procrastinating this morning and got the goat pens cleaned out.  My husband is working today, so he'll be happy to know that I took care of that chore.  I also turned my little compost pile while I was at it.  And yes, it was HOT outside.  Yuck.

Don't know if any of you would be interested in this t.v. show, but tonight the show "Vet School" is starting on the Nat Geo (National Geographic) channel.  They're supposed to be following several students at Cornell's School of Veterinary Medicine.  I have no idea if the show will be good or not, but I know that my DD and all of her fellow vet students will be watching.  UC Davis and Cornell have a friendly rivalry.  For years Cornell was ranked #1 in the nation while UC Davis was ranked #2.  Last year Davis took the #1 spot.  One of my DD's classmates went to a vet student conference and met one of the girl's who is going to be featured on the show.  She said that the girl was kind-of "full of herself".  Hopefully the show will be good.

~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

That is great about your DD, snicks.  They are just building the first Fisher House in Arizona in Tucson.  I knew about them from when I lived in the DC area, and it is a wonderful organization.  Running is very foreign to me -- never got into it or even jogging.  I did try jogging at one point, but it was not good.  Glad that I enjoy walking.  

The "long" walk which I took was 2.8 miles.  I was part of one of my Newcomers Group team -- but there were only four of us.  One lady dropped out in the middle.  I did just fine, and I think that might be a good area to take DH for a walk there some day -- nice and flat, no stairs, etc.  Anyway, it was not a strain at all, and I wouldn't mind doing another walk in the future.  But, I don't like leaving DH home alone more than necessary, and it wasn't easy to get things done before leaving since I left around 7:00 a.m.  They gave out free T-shirts, and a "goody bag" with toothpaste, etc. donated by local walk sponsors.  And, at the end they had quite a nice selection of food -- fresh fruit, etc.  I did not indulge since I had eaten breakfast and wanted to get home.  

So far, no cabinet work is being done -- I really don't know what is happening since our builder/neighbor set up some sawhorses in the driveway.  Maybe the door wasn't ready yet.

That was certainly a horrible scare for you twinny -- glad your Mom is okay. 

I hope you have a great trip, and your nose doesn't bother you too much.  Not fun.  I'm sure you will find good bargains at the outlets.

Sorry about your foot problem, Charlene.  I know that can be painful.  Glad your son is looking forward to classes.  

I think you are another one who needs a break and a treat, Kathleen.  Enjoy the beach.  It is important to do more than exercise for sure.  I keep hearing ads for a clinic for people with eating disorders, etc.  And, they talk about exercise addiction or some similar term.  That will never be a problem for me.  I do exercise, but not excessively.  Too many other things that I want/need to do.

Hi Bernie -- my MIL and brother had COPD -- horrible disease.  Glad your Mom stayed active as long as she did.  That is pretty funny about going up and down the stairs.  I used to make a point of taking the stairs at work, etc., but now there aren't many stairs around, and DH is afraid of them.

Good for you with all that trimming, Jean.  I felt that I should have done that myself, but it was so much nicer hiring an landscaper. LOL

I think I'm getting as bad as my grandson with the football emphasis  -- I forgot to mention that he and DD saw his school adviser who suggested that he apply for college right away (he is a high school senior).  He went home and applied to five different schools -- all pretty small.  He is hoping to get an academic scholarship in addition to playing football.  His grades are good, so fingers crossed on that idea.

Need to get back to the laundry now.

Waves to Marijane, Arlene, LindaR, Susan, Gayle, pinky ann, Rosa, and all of our posters and readers.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Enjoy your crossbody bags...my favorite style.  I have some Tig crossbody bags in varioius sizes I've used over the years.

Twinny--How frightening not having any response from your mother. You had to feel so helpless but relieved that DH was there to go with you to her house.

Kathleen--Glad that you got the rv placed so that there is room for the vehicles. We both need to get back on the diet. One of the new meds causes my appetite to go overboard.

Snicks--I can always find a justification for a purchase, but this year has been a challenge but one in which the medical procedures seemed to have worked. I go back for another check in January to see if the cancer is returning. It was every 3 months and then every 6 months. It is frustrating when the TV goes out for some reason. Netflix to the rescue!!!  Today is your day to relax from the other days filled with hard work.

Arlene--It is good that you are planning to have a mechanic check over that car. Last grass cutting of the season? I don't see that happening here until late October. I've never been impressed with Ross anywhere I've been. The best one was a new one they opened in Waikiki as it was clean and well orgaized but there wasn't anything that tempted me.

I took a rest with the Kindle and finished a book which I've been reading nightly before going to bed. The yard work is just now starting to kick in despite resting. Perhaps I'll get through the Wen show without rewarding myself with something from it. I definitely don't need anything. I did like the IM boots I saw this morning but the heel height looked a little too much for me, not to mention I didn't want to pay that price but I did like them.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

SNICK, It sounds like you keep plenty fit doing your yard work. It is great that you can still do it. FHG, My mom had one of those necklace things, but after not needing it for 3 years she said it was a waste of money & sent the machine back to the company. At least the phone company is coming out Monday morning & I did get the lamp to work again. She had it unplugged but was adamant that it was plugged in & just not working. She is not happy about her upcoming birthday party. When my MIL celebrated her 90th birthday a few weeks ago, she was so happy. Of course, her boyfriend is a delight too. I am getting excited about leaving here on Monday morning. DH & I are ready for another break. It is no fun running the show by ourselves, so I will be emailing my brother tonight or tomorrow & telling him he is in charge until we return home. He only lives 22 miles away, so not across the country for sure. Just did our last hot tub session until we return home. DH is emptying it & will give it a quick cleaning job. We don't usually empty it when we are gone, but October is our cleaning date/refilling time. Then we don't have to do it again until next March. Nap time again.
Respected Contributor

Linda i have never enjoyed exercise either! I will never be caught running or getting legalistic about numbers. The 10,000 steps is just a reference point for ME and i do try to keep balance in my life. I think there is something else going on with me, at this point i don't think my weariness is because of my walking. DH wad reminding me that i walked more last week and did nit feel so tired so maybe I'm not sleeping enough.
So glad DGS is doing well!
Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Thanks for the info on the vet show. That is an interesting way of presenting what vet training is like.  I'm sure cleaning out the goat pen isn't a fun job but one that needs to be done. I do hope the "as is" cross body bag works well. I should go looking just in case it is one like I have.

Linda--As a former couselor, I agree that it is time to start applying to colleges. There are some majors that have deadline dates far earlier than the deadline date to apply for admission, financial aid, etc. Good job on the fun walk.

This represents my outlook:

grocerystoreoflife.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Jean, the Ross in Kona was amazing; I worked there PT one Christmas season, and I used to pay them more than than they paid me!  Cat LOL  I was selling on eBay at the time, and would often get things I could at least triple my money on, even though we weren't supposed to resell things.  Sometimes I'd buy out all they had of an item, and the cashiers didn't care.  One day I was talking to the manager and told her (truthfully) that I sent many items to the three little girls I was sponsoring overseas, along with things for their families.  Well, one day the district manager came to the store, and she introduced me to him saying, "Tell Mr. X what you do with the things you buy!" I thought - BUSTED! - and was at a loss for words for a few moments, when the manager said, "She sends all kinds of things to poor families in other countries!"  That was close...but hey, sometimes you do what you have to do to survive.  Cat Wink

Bird, maybe that other little guy was a classical music fan. Did you hear about the guy who was really lonely, and couldn't have any pets in his apartment other than birds or fish?  Well, he decided to get a singing canary to keep him company, so he went to a pet shop.  The shop owner showed him the ordinary canaries, then said, "I have a very special canary here - he's amazing!  He hears a song once, and he can sing it.  He does popular songs, show tunes, arias from La Traviata...."  Sure enough, the bird went into an impressive medly.  The guy asked how much, and the shopkeeper said, "$600."  Well, of course he balked at the price, but then thought how nice it would be to have such a talented bird, so he bought him....along with the cage, toys, food, and everything else you need for a pet bird.  So he got home, set up the cage, and went to take the little canary out of the box he was in and put him on his new perch, when he saw the bird had no feet!  Angry, he went back to the pet shop and said, "Hey, I paid you $600 for this singing canary, and he doesn't have any feet!"  The pet shop owner shrugged and said, "So?   You wanted a singer...not a dancer!"  Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

LINDA L, I wish your DGS much success in getting a sports scholarship or any kind of scholarship. Our HS is very generous with giving scholarships not just for the guys but also for the girls. I remember when our DS & DD were just starting their senior year of HS, they were busy applying for scholarships. Let's just say that diligence pays off. FUNKY HULA GIRL, that was such a cute bird story. Not a dancer but a singer. I don't know if I mentioned last week or not about our DGS asking a girl to his Homecoming dance coming up in October. Our DD said that he had a unique way of doing it. He purchased the girl a real live betta fish in a bowl (what is that anyway)? Then her best friend helped him make clues to follow around a local park. When she got to the end of the clues, he was there with a sign saying "Of all the fish in the sea, will you go to Homecoming with me?" Now he hopes that some of his buddies get busy & ask a girl out too. He is a frosh so I don't know if the girl is a new friend or one that he has been going to school with for several years. DH finished the lawn & the hot tub is clean. Now we can concentrate on packing our bags. My nerves are still on fire. It never fails that whenever we are planning a trip quite far away, mom creates havoc for us.