Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, DEC. 10)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is chilly here, but I know it is much colder elsewhere.  And, there are snowstorms in places that seldom get them.  Hope everyone is keeping warm and has not lost power or had other issues due to storms.

I had my "strong bones" class this morning, and then I dropped off my application to be a hospice volunteer.  After they check my references, I need to have a drug test.  The closest facility is about 15 miles away, and they only do drug tests for 1 1/2 hours a day.  I'm not pleased about having to go through this (driving, etc.), but there is no choice.  Once the drug test comes back (assuming it is okay), there are several other steps like TB testing, CPR training, regular training, etc., but all of those can be done locally.  They will also do a background check, but I don't need to have my fingerprints done again.

After meeting with hospice, I dropped off the return (IM hoodie) at the Post Office -- it was totally mobbed, but they let me go to a special window since they didn't have to add postage or anything.

This afternoon I have my last "grief group" of the year, and we are to bring in something that reminds us of our loved one and talk about it.  After over-thinking this for ages, I decided to take a couple of photographs.

Interesting discussion about Christmas budgeting.  Now that I send checks and/or gift cards to almost everyone (but me), it is pretty easy to keep tabs on how much I am spending.  I have been budgeting a certain amount for gifts (birthday and Christmas)  each month for many years, and it works well for me.  Spending on myself is another matter, but.....  I am trying to divert some of my self spending to contributions to various causes that are important to me.  But, believe me I am still being over generous to myself.  I don't agree with everything Dave Ramsey says, but I usually enjoy listening to his program.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, DEC. 10)

[ Edited ]

Linda L, a Happy Belated Birthday wish to you.  It sounds like you got a nice gift from your dd.  After having a few cloudy days it is a beautiful sunny winter day.  I feel bad for those that live in the southern part of our country & are inundated with snow.  Good luck with the many hurdles you have to go through to become a Hospice vol.  We don't really ever have a budget to live by because my DH's pension stays pretty much the same as do our S. S. checks each month.  After all of these year's, we have it pretty well down pat.  We usually get to hear Dave Ramsey when we are on a long road trip.  It is entertaining and passes the time.

I have tried to read the posts, but I have been too tired to post.

Last week was a busy week.  I had my infusion on Wednesday and we headed to the Capitol City Thursday afternoon.  We did a little shopping on the way up & then we took all 3 of our dgc to KFC for supper before going to our dgd's band concert.  It is rare that all three of them are free at the same time . The band concert was very sweet and quick.  Two bands and two songs each.  30 minutes and done.  We even got to see our 2nd dgs girl friend.  She is quiet and also very nice.  

On Friday we did a little shopping on the way back home.  Nothing special because I don't know what the boy's want yet, but we did buy our dgd a beautiful pair of  Minnetonka boots.  We give checks to all of them, but I like to wrap something for everybody.  Our dd told us on Friday that she needs a new washer/dryer.  

We have been resting up & getting ready to go  see our favorite polka band on Wednesday if we don't get snow/sleet snow. The snow we can handle, but I  hate the words freezing rain mixture.

I made potato soup for lunch and served it in the Campbell Soup Kids matching mugs/soup tureen & ladle.  I can still remember seeing the Campbell Soup ads when we were kids.  Supper is beef stew in the oven.

I hope that you are all having a good day.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thankk you for starting the thread. It is frustrating to have to go so far and jump through all those hoops to become a hospice volunteer. It is understandable that applicants be screened but to have to travel far for part of the testing is a bit much. I'm sure that you will be a great volunteer.

Twinny--I'm glad that you were able to visit and enjoy time with family, and a little shopping also. Potato soup sounds good as does the beef stew. I know you enjoy snow but I hope it holds off so you can go and enjoy your polka band.

I worked today and was supposed to work tomorrow. By the end of the day, I was not feeling well so I decided to cancel tomorrow's job as it involved about 20 miles one way and didn't know how I would be feeling tomorrow as I am a little dizzy and have a headache. I didn't want to wait until the last minute to cancel. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  I hope that the last grief group meeting for this year wasn't too difficult for you.

Given the hoops you need to jump through to be a hospice volunteer I wonder what they make the caregivers or aides go through.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinny70  wow Twinny, you were busy last week.  I will likely give my sister a Tim Horton's gift card (she loves the coffee on the way to and from work) and some cash, however I did go browsing/shopping yesterday and picked up some special candies she likes and a new pair of slippers.  I like her to have something to open.  My three great nieces get cash. 

I decided the day each was born that I was started their lives out with cash.  Let their parents worry about what to do with it.  I shopped and then some for each of my nieces when they were kids.  I knew their tastes and what they liked when it comes to clothing and toys.  I don't interact with the great nieces enough to know what they really like.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  how's your BP? 

Do you think you are having ill effects from missing that one dose of medication?  

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--No problems with heart rate or bp. I may be trying to catch something as I've started sneezing. I personally think gift certificates and cash are great options for gifts.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.