Respected Contributor

Re: Request Respect For Online Shiva

What about sitting shiva and having an Irish wake? I liked that they had the bagpipers close out the service. I only wish the news reports had shown more of the songs they played. It was a nice final flourish.

Respected Contributor

On 9/10/2014 milly said:
On 9/10/2014 headvase said:

Being of the Jewish faith ...we sit "shiva" for parents, children , husband/wife only.......We certainly can all remember Joan as a way of paying our respect.

Can I ask you what "shiva" entails for the immediate family. Are you secluded during this time period? It lasts one week, right? I thought the reason they cancelled the JR show Fri. might because it was within that time frame and maybe disrespectful. I am really interested to learn. Thanks.

Having just spent a week sitting shiva for my mom last month I am very familiar with the rituals involved. The immediate family stays in the shiva house for 7days while friends and others come to pay their respects and support the mourners. Food is brought so that the mourners do not have to concern themselves with mundane tasks and to ensure the mourners are fed. Mirrors are covered and mourners are supposed to sit on hard surfaces as they Are not supposed to be distracted by vanity or comfort. A prayer is said every evening. Shiva is not sat on the Sabbath. After the Shiva period is over, the mourner leaves the house to walk around the block to symbolize their rejoining society. These are just the basics. There are many more rituals involved depending on the level of observance.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Ms X said:

What about sitting shiva and having an Irish wake? I liked that they had the bagpipers close out the service. I only wish the news reports had shown more of the songs they played. It was a nice final flourish.

Yes but a wake is before the funeral and shiva is after it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Shiva is a time of mourning for the Jewish faith but the person who started this thread was trying to tell us to move on and being sarcastic
Respected Contributor

bp--Why would you make that unfounded accusation?