Respected Contributor

Request Respect For Online Shiva

Please let those who loved Joan remember her the next few days. The rest, please go about your lives. Thank you.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Request Respect For Online Shiva

Well done, I'm with you.

Super Contributor

If somebody is Jewish yes Shiva is wonderful but I'm not Jewish and I mourn differently.
Contributor

Being of the Jewish faith ...we sit "shiva" for parents, children , husband/wife only.......We certainly can all remember Joan as a way of paying our respect.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 headvase said:

Being of the Jewish faith ...we sit "shiva" for parents, children , husband/wife only.......We certainly can all remember Joan as a way of paying our respect.

But we can all "pay a Shiva Call"

Valued Contributor

On 9/10/2014 headvase said:

Can I ask you what "shiva" entails for the immediate family. Are you secluded during this time period? It lasts one week, right? I thought the reason they cancelled the JR show Fri. might because it was within that time frame and maybe disrespectful. I am really interested to learn. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Paying my respects to Joan

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

In the simplest of terms, Shiva is a period of mourning that generally lasts for about a week. The close family gathers and friends visit to convey their sympathy. Friends and neighbors generally bring food, as the family is supposed to focus on their loss and not deal with the chores of daily life. Although the grieving doesn't end after the week, and there are other religious observances, after the Shiva is over you are supposed to go on with life.

Honored Contributor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_%28Judaism%29

Here is a link from wiki but this is obviously for the most strictly observant.

Families will "sit shiva" for a period up to 7 days at the home, and those who wish to visit can do so. There is usually (had better be) a meal after the funeral. There is service to remember the person who had died each evening.

Most people I know usually do this for 3 or 4 days.

there is also shiva.com , which I just found while googling, who knew?

Super Contributor

Thank you for explaining the shiva observance. So sorry for Joan's family.