Esteemed Contributor

My new home will be in a beach city.  Although I am not on the beach or next to the water, I am in the city known as a beach city.  Central coast of CA.  Now, some ladies I've run into have told me that "we are the beach", and "it's the beach".  So they dress casually, very beach casual.  Okay, that's their thing.

My apprehension is that my clothes are dressy casual and I like to wear boots in the colder/cooler temps.  I am wondering if I will appear completely uninformed as to what one wears in a beach city/community.  What's your take? 

(I know I should do as I desire but one has to sorta realize a thing or two).   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I live in a beach community and haven't noticed any particular way of dressing.  Maybe it's a California kind of thing.  If you like the way you dress, why not just go with it?  You will stand out from the crowd.  You could always get one or two things, such as a particular style of jacket, to add to your existing wardrobe if you really want to fit in.

Honored Contributor

My DIL may live in your coastal town.  She wears boots and dusters (I call them dusters; she calls them kimonos).

i would invest in some pretty sandals.

Honored Contributor

I've never had anyone try and enforce a dress code on me based on where we live. Unless we were coming or going from the beach IE on the sand and in the water, I wear my regular clothing as does everyone else. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I live in a beach community and haven't noticed any particular way of dressing.  Maybe it's a California kind of thing.  If you like the way you dress, why not just go with it?  You will stand out from the crowd.  You could always get one or two things, such as a particular style of jacket, to add to your existing wardrobe if you really want to fit in.

It's not a CA thing, I grew up in So CA beach communities and lived in both northern and southern CA. I'm not sure what's with the OPs peeps. We don't go everywhere in cut offs and bathing suit tops. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom Always look forward to seeing your Avatar.  It's a beautiful pic of a beautiful animal. 

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece Thank you, I was just petting Puccini ( my avatar pic). 

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

It's not a CA thing, I grew up in So CA beach communities and lived in both northern and southern CA. I'm not sure what's with the OPs peeps. We don't go everywhere in cut offs and bathing suit tops. 

Maybe it's the neighborhood.   Even my husband has noticed how some of the females appear like princess housewives.  I'm just me.  Not a slob but not a glamour puss.

Occasional Contributor
I live on the central coast of CA., born and raised. If you live in Santa Cruz, the dress, all year, is very casual, in San Francisco, all different types of dress. I would suggest the longer you live in the area, know what the weather brings each year, you will determine, for yourself, what you are comfortable wearing, boots/heavy coats/sweaters may not work for you due to the weather conditions as most of the time the weather is mild, except, in the a.m., when it is usually foggy. Good luck, enjoy your new home, visit the beach and the coast line.
Honored Contributor

Re: Regional Question

[ Edited ]

It is more casual if you literally live steps from the beach. When I was in HS I lived one block from the beach and used to walk down in the mornings before school to watch the guys on our HS surf team practice. But we still wore regular clothes to school and out to eat. Although yes, the little walk in places on main street saw lots of people in bathing suits that had stopped in walking home from the beach. 

But yes, I wore sweaters and closed toe shoes even on the beach in winter because it gets pretty chilly with the wind and fog.