Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of January 1,2017

Inside the hunting camp is 85-90 degrees. Way to hot for me. We'll see how he does.

Your nephew is very fortunate,  Linda. many years ago my cousin who probably around 12 at the time had a burst appendix. He didn't appear to be in pain and my aunt, a former nurse, had no idea until it had burst.

I hope your DH was improved today. it's good he doesn't try to get out of bed on his own.

Barbara, I'm glad the warmer weather is helping. Poor V3 to be anticipating the kids going to school only to have school canceled.

I dropped a bag of clothes at the Salvation Army on my way to Wegman's. Partway there I remembered TT needed a refill of one of his meds so quickly called them and arranged to pick it up. Recycled bottles at Wegman's but forgot to ask for the senior discount available on Tuesdays. On the way home I stopped at a bakery then filled the gas tank up on the suv. In the past week gas has gone  up 20 cents. in part thanks to the state gas tax increasing by 12 cents. I think ours is the highest in the nation.

It has drizzled all day but I managed to clean up the back yard. The VA finally sent R's back brace. it only took 6 weeks. We are still waiting to hear about local private. He got the phone call from the group that handles it (same company that handled the test on his arm last year that took 4 months to be scheduled) but has heard nothing more.

Esteemed Contributor

Those waits must be very frustrating, Claudia.  I never dreamed it would be so hot in a hunting camp.  That might even be a bit warm for me, which is saying something.  You were certainly busy yesterday.  Sorry your gasoline prices have gone up so much.  Ours went up a week or two ago, but still not bad at all.  There are a couple of efforts to get the gasoline tax increased, but I think we are talking about 1 or 2 cents, not twelve.

It is sunny today, and should get a bit warmer than yesterday. They are predicting 70 degree highs on the weekend/early next week.  I'll take that for sure.

I decided to walk over to visit DH, which worked out okay.  But, it was getting dark on the way back, which I do not like.  I think I should confine my walking to daylight hours.  He was so sleepy that I think he only opened his eyes a couple of times during the first hour or more.  The caregiver said he had been like that all day.  At least he didn't seem to be anxious, and I was able to get him to the table for dinner and back to the chair after dinner.  Not sure what awaits me today, but I plan to go to the gym first before I visit him. 

Nothing exciting going on here, which is a good thing.  Hope you are feeling okay, Barbara, and both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It is still morning here, so. Good one to you. I am very achy today.this disease has no set agenda but I am not sitting. Will do that after lunch. I need to get some food for weekend meals but will do that tomorrow. I avoid the grocery stores the first Wednesday because it is senior discount day. The stores tend to be very crowded.

it is cold again at home....-16 where a lives. It is a lot warmer here.

Linda...your nephew was very fortunate...when v3 was about 4, his burst and he was one sick little boy for a few days. It sounds like dh is having some not good days. He is lucky to have you.,I agree that walking in the dark is not a good idea..we have coyotes and Javelinas here.  I hope dh has a better day today.

Claudia...that is hot for a hunting camp...they must have a good fire going.,hope your doggies are behaving.

i only have 13 rows left on my shawl, but each row has 500 stitches so it is time consuming.,I will finish it this week.

Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

Good decision not to walk after dark,  Linda. I'm sorry your DH is having some bad days. As Barbara said, he's lucky to have you. I hope today is better.

Locally, Tuesday is senior discount day. I wish they would change it to Wednesday. I try to go early in the day before it gets crowded.

I'm sorry you're achy today, Barbara. it's good you keep doing things though as long as you pace yourself.

when we left the bowling alley the snow had arrived along with wind. I'm glad to be home.

The hunting camp has a wood stove and they keep it going.  I think R half wishes he hadn't said he'd go.

Respected Contributor

I played bridge this morning...had terrible cards but it was fun to play. The people in the group are lovely folks.

i need to run to the grocery store to get things for the weekend.,it will be warm enough to grill on Sunday. I have steaks in the freezer that e to be used.

M said it was very cold at home...

Linda, hoped his good today for you. Will all of the Macy closing shift affect dgs?!! Hope your day is going well.

Claudia..saw all of the accidents on one of the major freeways in Pa. Hope the bad weather is not affecting you.

i am going shopping. Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

Right now the roads are clear. R left a bit ago for camp.

Last night I received a text from my former partner telling me a former coworker had died suddenly. Kathy was only 58. Soon after I started work as a caseworker she started as clerical in a school to work type program and worked her way over 30+ years to caseworker specializing in nursing home. She retired about 5 years ago. I'm still in shock. No health problems just a hip replacement in November. She and her husband were buying a home in KY and planning to move.

R found a clock repair place and we're in the process of packing up the various parts. It's an hour away but it has to be shipped ups. I hate to think of the shipping cost.

20 degrees today and I can feel the cold. I may crank up the heat.

Barbara glad you had fun at bridge. The shopping of course is not so fun.

I hope your DH is doing better,  Linda. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Glad you enjoyed bridge, Barbara.  DD tells me that DGS should not have any issues.  His Macy's store does a good business, and he isn't at a high level, etc. (so not a big salary).  Apparently, the manager really likes him since he works hard, which should help.  Fingers crossed Macy will not decide to close all the stores.

What a shock, Claudia.  So sorry to hear about the passing of your former co-worker.

I spent much of the day with the caregivers (lunch, meeting, and coffee), and the lady whose husband passed last week attended the meeting.  I was glad to have the chance to hug her.  Although he had been ill, he took a big turn for the worse on Christmas and died a few days later.  He was still at home, but under hospice so she had hospice help.  Most importantly, her daughter and son-in-law really helped out.  A former member whose husband passed away a year and a half ago attended the meeting, and told us she is now engaged to a widower she has known for 15 years (family friend.)  That was very good news.

DH was doing well, and the hospice nurse said his vitals were fine.  

Tomorrow morning, I have the first of four classes (once a week) on Islam.  Should be interesting.  Also plan to go to the gym, and visit DH.  

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon...I think I am having a flare so I ended up,sleeping this afternoon, which I rarely do. I am going to not do anything for the rest of the day.  I did our coffee bar this morning and I think that contributed to it.

Claudia...what a shock about your friend. One never knows...that is why I live each day to the fullest. Glad you are getting the clock repaired professionally. How is your weather.

Linda, fingers crossed that dh is having a good day. As are you. Glad dgs job is secure.,department stores seem to be struggling. 

It it was nice here today...high in the mid 60s.

Sleep well.

Respected Contributor

Linda, that's great your DGS will not be affected by Macy's problems. I'm glad DH is better.

I know you were happy to see the lady whose husband passed away. Such a difficult thing especially at this time of year.

There was a bit of snow this morning but it wasn't heavy snow. I'm glad because Griff was pawing at his right ear and whining. Bo was trying to wash it. I called the veterinary clinic and the vet ordered some medicine for him. I drove up this afternoon to pick it up- 2 kinds of pills and a small tube of ear medicine to be squeezed in the ear. $29 was a great price. They do give a price break when they can. if I had had to I would have loaded him in the car and taken him to the vet.  I was happy though to leave him at home. our high today was 19.

Barbara, I hope your day is going well.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you were able to get the medicine for Griff, Claudia.  Sure is cold in your area. 

DH was doing quite well when I was there earlier, and I plan to visit him again soon.  The hospice caregiver said he was much more alert today than on Wednesday when she gave him a shower.  That is good news.

Hope you are having a good day, Barbara, and both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda