Honored Contributor

Questions about using the Click Here measurements. Need help, please.

[ Edited ]

If you are looking at a button down shirt with a Click Here waist measurement of a hypothetical 40"; how what actual waist size maximum would work with this? Do you add two inches from your actual body measurement? I'm assuming a woven fabric with no stretch or with 2% stretch. 

What about low hip Click Here measurement for a garment with zero, 2%m or 4% stretch. Hypothetically, I cotton twill pant. If the Click Here measurement is 40," would that accommodate an actual body hip measurement of 40,"or should you consider a larger size if you actual body measurement is the same as the Click Here measurement?

Regular Contributor

Re: Questions about using the Click Here measurements. Need help, please.

I was always told or read you need minimum 2"- 4" of slack for a garment to fit comfortably.  If there is no stretch in the material and you do not want a garment to fit like wallpaper on a wall, go with at least 3".

Honored Contributor

compare the click here measurements with a garment you own that fits you well

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Add approx 1-1/2" to 2" to the garment measurement shown on that chart in order to give you ease of movement for a non-stretch garment. 

In other words, if your body measures 40" wherever, then you will need to look for a garment measurement of at least 41-1/2" so it will fit with ease.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone that responded. 

Esteemed Contributor

Are not the click here just standard for a size?  Pattern making.  

So your example of 40" waist for size whatever means that the actual garment will be made to fit 40".

For me, I would match my inches.  And let the garment do it's thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

This is the method I've used when trying to determining what is the size I want to order. I find a "like" item I own, measure the waist and hips and order the size that matches. This assumes the offered garment has actually been measured and it's not just a standardized chart. If standardized, I either don't order on-line or I order my B&M size and cross my fingers.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

Are not the click here just standard for a size?  Pattern making.  

So your example of 40" waist for size whatever means that the actual garment will be made to fit 40".

For me, I would match my inches.  And let the garment do it's thing.

No, the Click Here is the exact measurement.  YOU then have to take into account if it has any spandex/stretch in the fabric, etc.

I measure tops that fit well and look for that measurements.  Also no vendor is the same, in fact logo can have one item with a bust measurement, and another logo item can have a different bust measurement. I will not buy something if I cannot see the "click here" for each item.  

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

This is the method I've used when trying to determining what is the size I want to order. I find a "like" item I own, measure the waist and hips and order the size that matches. This assumes the offered garment has actually been measured and it's not just a standardized chart. If standardized, I either don't order on-line or I order my B&M size and cross my fingers.

I don't buy much clothing here, but the ones I have ordered do fit me, when I use the click here measurements,