Valued Contributor

Re: Question about a Passport

We are going back to Italy early June to visit my parents.About the middle of May I checked my kids'passports and both expired in April.The kids have to be present at the post office and you must have their birth certificate.We spent less than $ 200.00 for both.If you need them faster you can pay additional $ 60.00.We got them back in about over 3 weeks.It might take longer if you never had a passport before.

Valued Contributor

Depends on the time of year, as others have said. My kids had to get theirs in the past year and they arrived very quickly, like within about 2-3 weeks. I would imagine that right before the summer the turnaround time is a bit slower. Years and years ago when I was a teen and got my first passport, it took MONTHS! Looking back it seems so ridiculous that this process was so much slower, but it was.

Regular Contributor

You will need orginal documents including birth certificates, marriage certificates and social security card. All name changes should be processed and documented. Once you have all that it takes about 3 weeks if you were born in the states. If you were born outside the country of don't have a state issued birth certificate it could take several months.

Super Contributor

When DH and I applied for ours (our first, as freshly naturalized citizens) I looked online to see what other people's experiences were. The consensus seemed to be "three weeks".

Ours arrived exactly three weeks after we sent the form off. We didn't do expedited, just normal service.

Honored Contributor

I got mine at the PO too, but we did need an appt in advance. not all PO do it, only designated ones.

Super Contributor

I have my passport so this is not about mine. A friend got her passport in January. It took four weeks . However her date of birth was wrong and she had to send it back with a copy of her birth certificate. It took another four weeks to get the correction completed.

Super Contributor

I am assuming this is your first passport, not a renewal? You can pay extra to rush the processing through if you need a passport in an emergency, but under normal circumstances, you should expect 4-6 weeks for processing... sometimes 8 weeks during the summer when more people start traveling. If you need it sooner than later, don't wait. You can pay to expedite the process, ask them at the post office about it.

I am always surprised at how many US citizens don't have a passport. Just because you have no immediate plans to travel, doesn't mean the moment couldn't suddenly arise. It's just something everyone should have. It's good for 10 years, not like it's a lot of bother to get, and yet most people never get one while they don't need it, just wait until they do. I have to renew mine this year, but not until October, but I won't be waiting until then.

Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 running shelby said:

You will need orginal documents including birth certificates, marriage certificates and social security card. All name changes should be processed and documented. Once you have all that it takes about 3 weeks if you were born in the states. If you were born outside the country of don't have a state issued birth certificate it could take several months.

this information is only required for new passports, underage children applying for their first adult passport, and name changes. if you are just renewing then all you need is the application, your old passport, and the fees.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've never had a passport. I don't intend to travel as I hate flying.

Super Contributor

On 5/13/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I've never had a passport. I don't intend to travel as I hate flying.

What if you won the lottery and wanted to take a slow boat to China? Smile Or at least a nice cruise in the Mediterranean, and wanted to get off on a few stops along the way? Never hurts to be prepared.