Contributor

Could anybody tell me how long (months) does it take to get a Passport? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about a Passport

It depends on the time of year but for us it's been 2-4 weeks. You can pay extra to have it done immediately.

Super Contributor

sometimes it takes awhile to get an appointment with the passport office, if you've never had a passport before. I know when I went to get mine about 4 or 5 years ago, it was a 2 week wait for the appointment because you have to sign the form and take an oath with the passport official and then once the application is mailed in, it can take up to 2 months - it all depends on how busy they are issuing them. If you think you might need one even later this year, it's best to go ahead and get it now.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago I realized the week before my trip I had forgotten to renew mine, I was able to get it over night with a fee

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I would allow at least a month, unless you pay extra for a rush job. In my opinion, every American should have a passport. It's probably the best ID we can have. Besides, it allows you to go just about everywhere, including Canada. Passports now last ten years so it's worth it to get one.
Honored Contributor

I got mine at the post office and never had to make an appointment - and it took a few weeks for it to arrive.

Trusted Contributor

We're in the process of getting my daughter a new passport. We went through the local post office. They said 4-6 weeks. It's been about 4 weeks now and I just received a letter from the US dept of state saying that the passport photo was not good enough and we have to submit another one, so more time. She needs the passport by the end of June so hopefully we'll get it by then.

Honored Contributor

My son recently got a passport. He went to our post office with his required id and his picture and all paperwork were completed while he was there. He received his passport by mail in less than 2 weeks. My husband and I downloaded a form on line and mailed it with the required pictures, expired passport and check to renew ours. We got ours in about 10 days. I would apply for one as soon as possible if I was planning a trip. I would imagine that spring and early summer is a busy time for the passport office.
Honored Contributor

my mom just renewed hers.....and paid the fees to have it expedited. it arrived in about a week.

my daughter applied for a new one about 2 years ago. she had to make an appointment at the post office and they were backed up....definitely no walk ins available at our local offices. she also had hers expedited and it arrived in about 2 weeks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

We just applied for a passport for my mom. Used the post office as the expediting agent. It only took about 3 weeks, she received it last week.