Valued Contributor

It's 1:54 on the  27th and I am watching the Halston show. Looking specifically at H-303178 an extended shoulder top where you can see the poor sewing on the seams on the models! Consequently the fabric puckers at the seams in places.  If they cannot  monitor what the models are wearing it shows the lack of attention to detail of the shows never mind the garments. I considered buying the top but when I saw the defects in the sewing I changed my mind. It isn't just this top but other's also where I have notied the poor construction. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quality Control

[ Edited ]

I read an article that stated Americans have become accustomed to cheaply constructed Chinese goods. I refuse to believe that. Yes, we are confronted with cheaply made Chinese goods but many of us refuse to buy this junk. When I see unmatched plaids and stripes, rotten material, or atrocious styles, it’s easy for me to pass them by. If retailers think they can replace quantity for quality, they may be short sighted.

Honored Contributor

@Whosits @Vivian  I enjoyed and agree with your posts.

I used to make many of my clothes in the 60's when I worked.

It was fun picking out the patterns and the material.  Most garments start out basically the same.

As I sit looking at some of these clothes, in my mind I can see exactly how they're put together (very simply).

I stopped sewing gradually because when my first daughter was born I quit work and never went back (hence, no need for dresses, etc).

I still made clothes for my daughters.  Gradually, material became expensive, so often it was just cheaper to buy children's clothes rather than make them.

Really, those pull up pants with the elastic waist take maybe 20 minutes (sometimes even a little less) to make.  There's nothing to them.

Yet the prices keep going up and up.  It doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's true, you do use more material when you have to match the sides, etc.  But the look you get is much more superior than when they aren't matched.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, I have seen this and other issues, as well...quite a bit.  

The best I have seen is coming from Louis Dell'Olio and Martha Stewart.  Isaac does a pretty good job.  I did purchase 3 Susan Graver lightweight Spring and Fall jackets that are exceptionally well made, but they sold for over $100 each.  For me, Denim & Co. has been hit or miss.  As for others, tried and not a repeat buyer. 

Still, QVC's clothing can't really be compared to the quality of more expensive lines sold at higher end retailers.  The difference is remarkable, but look at the price tags.

I still think overall you get what you pay for, so when I shop at QVC, my expectations are quite a bit lower.  Pleasantly surprised when something exceeds my expectations. 

Valued Contributor

Isaac always points out how stripes on clothing should match (line up) all around the garment. Now that he said that, I can't wear or purchase anything that has stripes that don't line up! Also, I pay attention to the stitching and the quality of the fabric now that I've been watching the Q Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I read an article that stated Americans have become accustomed to cheaply constructed Chinese goods. I refuse to believe that. Yes, we are confronted with cheaply made Chinese goods but many of us refuse to buy this junk. When I see unmatched plaids and stripes, rotten material, or atrocious styles, it’s easy for me to pass them by. If retailers think they can replace quantity for quality, they may be short sighted.

@Vivian, I would have to say that I agree with that article.  I don't think all people are accustomed to cheap stuff but many, many are.  I see it here on the boards.  

One of the biggest pet peeves of mine is unmatched patterns at the seams but I see it over and over on items people are wearing and I see comments on these boards that it doesn't bother people.  

Atrocious styles are subjective.  What is atrocious to one is gorgeous to another.