Contributor
Does it bother anyone else when a printed or striped top does not match at the side seams. I have been noticing this a lot lately. Is it just me? If I am paying around $50 or more for a top I want the seams to match.
Honored Contributor

At those prices the seams should match. You are right.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

For me - only stripes, plaids and even prints need to be matched.

Splashy uneven prints don't require matching.

Respected Contributor
I think striped and plaids should match. I don’t care as much about prints.
Respected Contributor

I have noticed this as long as 25 years ago, even at the better department stores. It is especially noticeable in a large plaid. Perhaps those of us who sew are bothered more by it. I always used to buy an extra one quarter to one half a yard of fabric in order to match plaids and stripes. 

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

I have noticed this as long as 25 years ago, even at the better department stores. It is especially noticeable in a large plaid. Perhaps those of us who sew are bothered more by it. I always used to buy an extra one quarter to one half a yard of fabric in order to match plaids and stripes. 

@froggy

My mother sent me to classes to learn to cut / fit / sew ...  you're exactly right - get extra fabric when matching required.

Honored Contributor

Depending on the cost, what I am going to wear the item for, and other factors.  It isn't something that bothers me unless it is a really nice things and I'm going to wear it out for dinner or some occasion.  But for just a shirt?  Not so much unless the stripes are bigger,

Times and fashion and customs change.  I hear words commonly I'd never have heard long ago.  It's all what matters so much . . .  

Honored Contributor

YES     (Textiles & Clothing was my major)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Yes it does----that is the first thing I check for--more so with stripes than prints. Evine has a bad habit of that very thing. I have set many things back as the pattern doesn't match--don;t buy anymore from them now.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  The first thing I look for.  In sewing, you line up prints before placing the pattern and cutting out.  And line up prints as you pin and sew.  Prints not matching reflects poor quality in manufacturing.  Time is money, just slop it together and go.