Respected Contributor

I have a question...I see many manufacturers of Demin use the term "premium Demin". How does premium Demin compare to traditional Demin?  What excatly does that mean? I'm curious about what my fellow fashionistas think!  Thanks friends!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Premium demin

[ Edited ]

Maybe it means the original style dungarees from the likes of Wrangler, Lee and Levis.  Levis doesn't believe jeans should ever be washed.  That's their mantra. 

Premium denim is probably with a nice weight of cotton.  I get the impression Premium denim costs a lot more than non premium denim  I could be wrong.  But I don't think Premium Denim has 4-5 different textiles woven to make a pair of jeans.  I think Premium denim is mostly cotton with teensy bit of lycra (if any).

Some Premium names might be:

Paige

Seven For All Mankind

FRAME

MOTHER

AG

Rag and Bone

Joe's Jeans

Citizens of Humanity

DL 1961

HUDSON

Agolde

L'Agence

and more....

Joe's Jeans $188.00

JOE'S The Provocateur Petite Bootcut Jeans, Main, color, FELLOW

• 99% cotton, 1% elastane

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset @Ok thanks! I never knew about Levi's and not washing, what's a girl to do? Be stinky... thank you but no!  I think I'll look into those brands. I need one fantastic pair of jeans! Great looking and great fitting! Thanks! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

@gertrudecloset @Ok thanks! I never knew about Levi's and not washing, what's a girl to do? Be stinky... thank you but no!  I think I'll look into those brands. I need one fantastic pair of jeans! Great looking and great fitting! Thanks! 

@Franklinbell years and years ago, I went into a Levi's store on 59th and Lexington Avenue to get a pair of jeans.  That story was told to me by a sales person.  The story and reasoning behind why this brand prefers you don't wash your jeans in the machine is interesting.  Just search to get the history.  

Of course, I don't follow that bit of advice cause I wash my jeans (all of them) Woman Wink

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I know someone who only has her jeans drycleaned.  Does that count as "not washing" them?

Respected Contributor

I have a friend that does that also! I wash my dark ones in woolite for dark clothes. I will never not wash them. Yikes!

Honored Contributor

Here's what I think: The market (jeans) has been saturated w/jeans. I have about 200 pair. So manuf. have to  come up w/something to attract buyers thusly: premier jeans.

Hubbs says-marketing genius and he says it sarcastically.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 all I want is a dark pair that fit, look good (may need a new body for that) and wear well. No bagging, no sagging, and no sausage look. I'm doing a Jean inventory this weekend...

Honored Contributor

Premium denim is something the clothing industry conjured up. Every manufacturer has their own idea of what it should be and when they slap the label on it, the price goes up. There is no such thing as certified denim anything so who sets the standard?...no one.

Honored Contributor

It's just a phrase they use to give buyers the impression that their denim is of a higher quality. It's like when they say "designer" or "red carpet".