Honored Contributor

Re: Perceiving a Bad Habit on the Q

They were down the third quarter. Steve Bryant, former QVC wrote an article I found fascinating. It explains why QVC has gotten so boring. I found the article and the name of the technique QVC uses, it is called "narrow branding"...who knew??? Here is a snippet of the article...

Recently TV shopping channels, QVC in particular, have been narrow branding. This means they are offering a limited spectrum of products in an attempt to link themselves with the positive buzz about them. TV shopping used to be know for innovative, sometimes wacky products that were not readily know by the public. The iconic phrase “as seen on TV” used to refer to something innovative, a really unique product that you could live without but would rather not.

The concept of narrow branding creates a “club” of customers who own certain products and then attempts to make everyone else want to join the club. TV shopping channels have long known the power of testimonial phone calls from satisfied users of certain products. The networks build huge ownership bases for certain products by offering them over and over again. This ensures that they’ll have a large number of customers who will call in to extol the product’s virtues. And those testimonial calls have always helped to sell products.

to read more.....http://stevebryantblog.com/2014/10/01/the-brand-is-the-thing/

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 pennysmom said:

Dell, dyson, all weekend awful

Temptations ! ye gads ! so sick of that girl.....

Esteemed Contributor

The same could be said for ShopHQ with one world, Invicta and the three amigos, Waterford etc.
Super Contributor

Years ago I remember waiting EAGERLY for a show of my faves -- Philosophy comes to mind. It was right when Leslie came to Q, it was so NEW, but the shows weren't on all that often. By the time Leslie returned, we were all in a lather and bought like maniacs. (This was before we were shopping online, too). Now, even if it's a line I like, it's Ho Hum, AGAIN? They don't seem special any more.

Respected Contributor

This is O/T BUT can anyone tell me why a product, for instance Kurig, in all colors sells out for a presentation at maybe 2PM ( the host is shouting at us to get it now because it is selling out quickly) BUT it is miraculously back at 7PM in all colors.

This goes for most of the products sold on ALL shopping shows.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Trusted Contributor

On 12/21/2014 shoekitty said:

They were down the third quarter. Steve Bryant, former QVC wrote an article I found fascinating. It explains why QVC has gotten so boring. I found the article and the name of the technique QVC uses, it is called "narrow branding"...who knew??? Here is a snippet of the article...

Recently TV shopping channels, QVC in particular, have been narrow branding. This means they are offering a limited spectrum of products in an attempt to link themselves with the positive buzz about them. TV shopping used to be know for innovative, sometimes wacky products that were not readily know by the public. The iconic phrase “as seen on TV” used to refer to something innovative, a really unique product that you could live without but would rather not.

The concept of narrow branding creates a “club” of customers who own certain products and then attempts to make everyone else want to join the club. TV shopping channels have long known the power of testimonial phone calls from satisfied users of certain products. The networks build huge ownership bases for certain products by offering them over and over again. This ensures that they’ll have a large number of customers who will call in to extol the product’s virtues. And those testimonial calls have always helped to sell products.

shoekitty, thanks for posting this. This explanation of "narrow branding" certainly makes sense. They oversaturate their viewing time with a limited variety of products. Make it sound wonderful, exclusive, special, etc. After awhile, their target audience start to believe all the self-hype and buy it up. 'Join the club' indeed! How many times do you hear Tara ask a caller, 'What color do you collect?'

I can't imagine that QVC will last much longer. Their biggest mistake, (IMO) was not offering free shipping. The shipping rates have stopped me in my tracks so many times. I will buy from Amazon or use a coupon at BB&B.

Regular Contributor

On 12/21/2014 golfcartrider said:

All of the shopping channels have become nothing more than infomercials, doing anything they can to make a sale, saying anything to get us to purchase.

The dignity that once came with home shopping has been taken over by a bunch of Carnival hawkers.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 lacey1 said:
On 12/21/2014 shoekitty said:

<br /> They were down the third quarter. Steve Bryant, former QVC wrote an article I found fascinating. It explains why QVC has gotten so boring. I found the article and the name of the technique QVC uses, it is called "narrow branding"...who knew??? Here is a snippet of the article...

shoekitty, thanks for posting this. This explanation of "narrow branding" certainly makes sense. They oversaturate their viewing time with a limited variety of products. Make it sound wonderful, exclusive, special, etc. After awhile, their target audience start to believe all the self-hype and buy it up. 'Join the club' indeed! How many times do you hear Tara ask a caller, 'What color do you collect?'

I can't imagine that QVC will last much longer. Their biggest mistake, (IMO) was not offering free shipping. The shipping rates have stopped me in my tracks so many times. I will buy from Amazon or use a coupon at BB&B.

The problem becomes when increasingly, whatever 'club' they're offering exclusive membership too..., has no interest for viewers! Personally, I have no interest in joining any of the clubs they seem intent on shoving down our throats... and it seems, reading these boards, others are feeling the same!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 golfcartrider said:

This is O/T BUT can anyone tell me why a product, for instance Kurig, in all colors sells out for a presentation at maybe 2PM ( the host is shouting at us to get it now because it is selling out quickly) BUT it is miraculously back at 7PM in all colors.

This goes for most of the products sold on ALL shopping shows.

People put stuff in their cart and it stays there for 30 minutes or an hour. People also use Check Hold and then wait to see reviews or if they change their mind later on.

On certain products, they may purchase, say, 75,000 from the vendor with an option to add 25,000 if sales are brisk, so they may release more product later in the day.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

There is a old saying, everyone has their day in the sun.

I suspect as B Mako was once on all day long, and it is now gone. I suspect many items will be gone at some point.