Honored Contributor

Re: PROBABLY WISHFUL THINKING/SEAMSTRESSES

I think it makes more sense to go up a size in the jumpsuit and have the seamstress take it  in where it's needed.  If that's not possible, buy the jumpsuit and take it to the seamstress and explain and ASK her what she can do to make it fit well.  She's the expert, she can probably do something that doesn't require buying a second one.  That sounds weird to me.  I remember years ago my mom had special occasion dress that she couldn't zip up after she gained weight and her seamstress added material to the sides of the dress.  I remember going from one fabric store to another and then to another with my mom as she hunted for fabric that matched the dress.  

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2  Thank you.  I thought I recalled that Bob Mackie had palazzo pants.  I will look into that.  I would rather have that if I can find a short jacket.  I am so short that a long jacket will cut me into thirds. 

The larger size would require adjusting everywhere.  It is about 8 inches or more too long in the stride.  The top was about 4 inches too big at the waist and sagged at the neck area while it was just perfect in that one area of my chest.   The reason I know the high cost is that I took a similar situation to a tailor about 12 years ago, and was told it would cost as much to size it down all over as a new pair of Sam Edelman heels.  I think he noticed I was wearing Sam Edelman shoes at the time he said that.

@chrystaltree I am glad you told us about your mother.  That gives me hope that something can be done.  It is not only about 2 inches.  It fits everywhere, just that I fear coughing or sneezing might burst the zipper.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday How about something like this with palazzo pants. This is a jacket and top. 22" from shoulder to hem. 

Alex Evenings at Macy's.com. $90. Comes in small med large and x large.

shopping.jpeg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Nonametoday How about something like this with palazzo pants. This is a jacket and top. 22" from shoulder to hem. 

Alex Evenings at Macy's.com. $90. Comes in small med large and x large.

shopping.jpeg

I tried that jacket on today.  It is one on my list.  I got the jumpsuit.  I am going to take it to the seamstress tomorrow.  If she cannot fix it, I am going to get black palazzo pants and something like this Alex Evening set.  I got my haircut hoping that Alex Evening set would look better on me.  It is very good looking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

THANKS, EVERYONE.  I am all set.  The navy jumpsuit fits perfectly as long as I don't wear a padded bra so that is going to be one outfit for one black tie event.  With it, I will wear a navy cashmere shawl, some silver pumps, a silver mesh clutch, Judith Ripka's silver cuff (the one that is her favorite patterned from some relative, which I cannot recall) and the matching earrings.  I will not wear anything at my neck based on the front of the jumpsuit which has a ruffle that comes down one side and runs across to the other side.  Thereore, any neck accoutrement would make it look too busy.  

At the other event, I have the Alex Evening black chiffonish palazzo pants and Alex Evening lace/sequin blouse, navy with black camisole and black ribbon tie at waist.  My only jewelry will be gold/diamond earrings and gold/diamond pendant, gold/diamond tennis bracelet, the black shoes that do not have sequins but have sort of a sparkle look to them and a black satin clutch.

All settled in for two nights.  Of course, weddings could and do pop up all along.