Respected Contributor

I am going my husband's work Chritmas party.  It's been over 15 years since I've been to one.  This is a new job for him.  I'm a stay at home Mom now and an RN before that.  My everyday style is extremely casual and have not kept up with fashion and what's right and wrong.  Thankfully, I found a nice dress but not sure if I should wear pantyhose.  Yes, I'm from the pantyhose generation.  I normally would not hesitate to wear it, but this dress (thankfully) is t-length and you can't see me ugly legs (varicose and spider veins).  I've purchased spanx for my undergarment.  Since it seems like a semi-formal affair, should I still wear pantyhose?

Esteemed Contributor

Ummm    Did you get your hair problem solved?  If I were you I would pretend to be sick and just stay home.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy I'm from the pantyhose generation too and I would say yes - you should wear the pantyhose.  Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't feel dressed without them.

Respected Contributor

Yes, you should wear pantyhose.

Trusted Contributor

Another one from the panyhose generation......yes, I'd wear pantyhose.  I went to a fall wedding and wore a dress that was a little below my knees.  My legs are not tan, they have some battle scars, etc.  I felt a lot more confident wearing the pantyhose than I would of felt without.   

Enjoy your event!

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy. It has been years since I have had to dress for a formal occasion as I am a widow.   I am of the panty hose era also.  I still wear them with a dress or skirt.  When I can find a good pair I also pick up thigh highs.  A good pair will stay up with no garter belt.  I do not use self tanner and the hose helps cover my leg problems.   I will not wear shoes without something on my feet unless they are sandals.

Wear what makes you comfortable so that you can relax and have a good time.  Whatever you chose please remember that you will be using the ladies room.   A t length dress might allow you to wear knee high stockings if the dress is mid calf.  It seems they go from below the knee to mid calf.  You might want to try your outfit on a few days ahead to make sure you are comfortable with your Spanx and choice of stockings.

Others here I am sure can give you good advice.  I will be watching as well.  Any dress occasion frazzled me anymore and I have to wear my outfit ahead and get past what I don't like before I leave the house.    My mind still likes to think I am 10 years younger but that darn full length mirror tells me the truth so get out there and have a good time.

You are young.  You and your husband have a great time.  As I tell my family make beautiful memories to last you a long time.  You are not promised tomorrow.  Enjoy each day as it comes.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I would wear pantyhose.  I feel more polished and put together when I wear them with a dress or skirt.  Have a great time!

Respected Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

I am going my husband's work Chritmas party.  It's been over 15 years since I've been to one.  This is a new job for him.  I'm a stay at home Mom now and an RN before that.  My everyday style is extremely casual and have not kept up with fashion and what's right and wrong.  Thankfully, I found a nice dress but not sure if I should wear pantyhose.  Yes, I'm from the pantyhose generation.  I normally would not hesitate to wear it, but this dress (thankfully) is t-length and you can't see me ugly legs (varicose and spider veins).  I've purchased spanx for my undergarment.  Since it seems like a semi-formal affair, should I still wear pantyhose?

If it’s tea length , I would wear boots.  As long as your legs aren’t showing, boots are a great alternative.   I wear knee highs under my boots to make them comfortable.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy, I can't add much to all the good advice you've been given, but I hope whatever you choose, you feel comfortable and confident.  Sheer, discreet high-end pantihose are worn by "Princess Kate" for virtually all festive occasions.  I really like that she goes with what is appropriate and flattering, regardless of what fashion editors dictate.

Have fun!

Trusted Contributor

I think you should do what will make you feel most comfortable so you can just enjoy the evening.  If wearing pantyhose will do that, go for it.  For what it's worth, I am also from the pantyhose generation and would definitely wear them.  I would not feel polished without them, especially at an event such as this.

Have fun at the party!  Smiley Happy

~LdyBugz