Honored Contributor

O/T: Did you ever turn down an invite because it would be too expensive to attend?

We were invited to two weddings for this August.. both with bridal showers. Each wedding would have required an overnight stay in a hotel. One of them is my close friend's son, so I couldn't possibly decline. The other is a young woman who was my student teacher and with whom I remained friendly. I had to decline her invitation as finances are very tight right now.

Has this ever happened to you?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T: Did you ever turn down an invite because it would be too expensive to attend?

Yes. My oldest (longest) friend's son was getting married in the "islands" (forget which one), and there was no way that I could have afforded to fly there, pay for a hotel (in high season), etc. I did send shower and wedding gifts, however. I think she understood, but I felt badly about it. Oh well....

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T: Did you ever turn down an invite because it would be too expensive to attend?

HC,

Since you are a "helper", if you wanted to attend either of the showers, I bet they would be delighted to have you gift your time.

Honored Contributor

Sure. Most people have. Most people don't have unlimited funds.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

An invite requires a gift even if you do not attend. I haven't been in this situation. I would not attend a "destination" wedding though. If I am going to spend $ on a vacation, it will be of our choosing. I have driven up to 8 hrs for weddings and have had to spend lots of $ on Inns, food, etc., My parents have been invited to numerous destination weddings; Hawaii, Mexico, Ecuador, Europe, etc., They have attended all of them.

Don't feel badly-You can only do what your budget allows and it's not worth breaking the bank over. It would certainly be different if it were a family member.

Super Contributor

My cousin's daughter married in Sicily, and I had to turn it down because of the expense. I regret not being able to attend. Because it was in June, airfares were double than they would have been in the fall or winter. Too bad - it would have been great.

Trusted Contributor

Not specifically, but I think this happens to many people at some time and is totally understandable. I salute you for being realistic about your finances and declining an invitation if you really don't have the funds right now. On the other hand, it would be great if you could think of a lower-cost way to attend the wedding -- skip the hotel stay and come home after the wedding, share a hotel room and expenses, stay with a friend or family member, cut expenses in another area to pay for the wedding........sometimes there's no way to make it work, but it would be nice if you could work out some way to attend an event you'd really like to be part of.

Super Contributor

Yes ....weddings out of state which would require a plane ticket, hotels and probably a rental car. Just too pricey to be expected to attend.

Honored Contributor

We have never been invited to weddings that require travel, but I would decline because of finances. I don't mean to be a grouch, but I'm not in an income bracket where I want to spend money equal to a vacation to go to someone else's wedding.

I do decline a night out with folks or a trip to an amusement park because of finances sometimes.

Honored Contributor

No...never. I do know many who have turned down events due to cost.

I have turned out destination weddings due to other conflicts or really not that interested in going, but not due to cost.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"