Respected Contributor

Re: Just a personal observance......

I don't associate any color with "dressed up," but I think the perception that black is "dressy" is really common. I used to work in an industry that was mostly men and mostly "good old boys" from all over Texas, emergency management people from both urban and rural areas. I absolutely noticed that business casual was jeans and a button-down shirt and dressed up was black jeans and a button-down shirt, maybe a jacket.

I avoid black unless it's embellished with color. I'm very fair and if I wear black, it immediately looks like I'm Morticia Addams. I need color so I don't look like I'm just really bad at being Goth.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I feel dressed  up when I wear black and white together...like a tuxedo-look or a spectator-look. 

I have always wondered why black & white is a "spectator" look.  Does anyone know why it is called that?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, it is not the color that I am wearing.  I feel dressed up whenever I put on a jacket or blazer, anything with some kind of structure.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I feel dressed  up when I wear black and white together...like a tuxedo-look or a spectator-look. 

I love black, white and RED.  Ohhhhh lala. @SilleeMee

Respected Contributor

Red is a va-va-voom color for me. 

Any color can look dressed up, depending on fabric, style, embellishment.

Respected Contributor

I think cream or white is very classy and of course black. once fall hits and there is a chill in the air, all I wear is black.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

I like wearing black when I go out........

Honored Contributor

Anyone can wear black or any other color.  I wear less black than I did a few years ago but black is still a part of my wardrobe.  Not because I think of black as a dressy color because I don't.  I like having a casual black maxi dress for summer because black works so well with all my colored sandals and colored and bags.  It's great back drop for big jewelry too.  I like black tees because I think a black tee with white, tan or khaki bottoms is chic look.  Years ago, I would have said that a black dress was dressy and certainly had my LBD's over the years but now sparkly shoes and jewelry define my "dress up" looks.  

Honored Contributor

For me, it is the color.  I like black, but I have a lot of grey in my wardrobe. Different shades of it.  And yes, like black it feels more dressed up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think black tends to look more dressed up, but I think ivory and dark navy can also be very dressy. It really depends on the garment more than the color. Shoes, bag, & jewelry also can dress an outfit up or down.