Frequent Contributor

Isaac Mizrahi talks about clothing for" plus size" women

This is running on Huffingtonpost:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/isaac-mizrahi-plus-size-fashion_n_4980144.html?utm_hp_ref=s...

I do think the fact that QVC runs the entire gamut from xxs to 3XL is its great strength.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Isaac Mizrahi talks about clothing for"" plus size"" women

The inclusivity is appealing, but let's face it, not every body looks good in every thing. Only one statement that he made (paraphrase) - he wants people to wear what they think looks good on them. And that's part of fashion faux pas. It would help if we learned some of the tricks of flattering dressing. You need an "eye," and not every consumer or every designer has that.

I just like Issac!

I like that he's doing more petite. I love his sweater fabric, although not always his designs. I wouldn't want small floral print (since I'm petite, and not plus) but more plain w/ a twist.

Super Contributor

You are a petite, and "you wouldn't want a small floral print" ???? Why in heaven's name not ?

Do you think they are only for larger people?

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/20/2014 hope-Q said:

You are a petite, and "you wouldn't want a small floral print" ???? Why in heaven's name not ?

Do you think they are only for larger people?

No, it's just because I'm more of a classic, and not a print person. But if I did do anything print, I wouldn't want too large (most of what I saw in Isaac's designs) or too small - same as what I would prefer seeing on plus size, too.

Super Contributor

On 3/20/2014 Harpa said:

The inclusivity is appealing, but let's face it, not every body looks good in every thing. Only one statement that he made (paraphrase) - he wants people to wear what they think looks good on them. And that's part of fashion faux pas. It would help if we learned some of the tricks of flattering dressing. You need an "eye," and not every consumer or every designer has that.

I just like Issac!

I like that he's doing more petite. I love his sweater fabric, although not always his designs. I wouldn't want small floral print (since I'm petite, and not plus) but more plain w/ a twist.

I'm not a big Isaac fan - but I do agree with your paraphrase that people should wear what they think looks good on them.

When you say "flattering dressing," do you mean flattering to YOU or what the wearer thinks is flattering? Whose opinion wins?

And - what exactly is flattering dressing?

Regular Contributor

Everyone should wear what makes them happy. I am a 1x and I wear what appeals to me.It is wonderful that designers are starting to recognise that we do not want to wear a bunch if black tents!

I just received my Lane Bryant Isabel Toledo items. OMG they are so pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

Flattering - having a sense of balance and proportion. Not necessarily what I think, although I've developed a scrutinizing eye (& ear, given my profession!)

What Bradley Bayou thinks! Smiley Happy I forgot I had that book!

Honored Contributor

I think women for the most part know what's flattering on them. Men...on the other hand... I'd like to see a Susan Graver of men's clothing on QVC. Have all the colors match and have everything in plus sizes and tall and short.

Then you could bribe your husband to pop his head in every now and then and thumbs up or thumbs down the various purchases you want to make for him. It'd be even more convenient for him than having to go to the store.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

On 3/20/2014 ninjasmom said:

Everyone should wear what makes them happy. I am a 1x and I wear what appeals to me.It is wonderful that designers are starting to recognise that we do not want to wear a bunch if black tents!

I wish more mainstream lines would figure that out. I am busty and have to size up because of it, and I've gained like 40lbs the past year due to health issues. I'm now between an XL and 1X, 14/16.

I went to marshall's to look for some spring clothes and 70% of it was black or another very dark color. I am fair so I don't like to wear black its too dark for me. In addition most of the tops were tunics or oversized and I'm only 5'0" so yeah really tent like {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I went home and ordered $300 of clothes from qvc, including petit length pants! Hoping everything fits...

Honored Contributor

I opened this thread with absolute dread. Oh no, I thought, do I have to give up another line because of intemperate remarks, like Mark Bower's I don't design clothes for fat people? Thank you Isaac, I will continue to buy your clothes.