Honored Contributor

Re: If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

@scotnovel wrote:

Not sure I really understand the question.  What does wearing black tops have to do with age?  I am mid 60's and have been wearing black and all sorts of other colored tops my entire life and don't intend to stop.  

@scotnovel  I could kind of see what she was posing - for the same reason women oftentimes ligthen their hair as they age, because the darker hair starts to look harsh and more "fakey" against an aging face.  So I think I see where OP is coming from.

Even so, "no" is my answer (and I have gone lighter with my hair as I've aged).  As someone else posted, just wear colorful scarves or jewelry or jackets with the black or navy tops.  Definitely hold onto the black - you will start attending more funerals as you age.  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

if black or any color washes you out, there is a thing called makeup  that is one of the reasons we have it  it fixes everything including our blah, blah complexions

And under eye brightner and blush.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

P.s. To earlier post

more.com had a little article about what I was saying that I  often wear -- classy black with a pop of color. I have never just worn black but always add a splash of some color which  brings color near the face. The right scarf or bright top layered underneath does the trick. What I avoid -- this is just me, not what everyone ought to do -- are what on me come off as old-lady pastels and florals. Somehow, a younger woman can handle that trend but on me it would just look "middle-.aged lady." Ditto lace tops. Lace may be trending, but  on an older woman, lace can read simply as "granny" and "old." What makes you look great--vibrant-- is the confidence of wearing what feels good to you, so don't listen to what anyone else, me included, has to say.

No lace? It can read as granny and old?  At 65 I am old(er) and a granny.  I love lace.

I wear whatever I like.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG

when i said makeup i meant the whole kaboodle  i know many consider makeup just foundation and i keep forgetting that!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

if black or any color washes you out, there is a thing called makeup  that is one of the reasons we have it  it fixes everything including our blah, blah complexions

It is not necessary or important for me to wear black tops. I can wear red or pink or purlple or a beautiful blue and look much better than trying to make something work that does not work for me.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely I do. I am 63 and very fair and blonde. I have found you just have to adjust your makeup... ex: blush and lipstick. Also add a scarf or some bling and you will look good.

Trusted Contributor

Ladies, I was not trying to start a riot! I had my colors done and found out that I am a "soft summer", and black and dark colors apparently overwhelm and wash out this "season". You can disagree or argue I am just asking what everyone thinks of this idea to encourage fashion discussion. 

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@ECBG

when i said makeup i meant the whole kaboodle  i know many consider makeup just foundation and i keep forgetting that!  Woman Wink

@ladyroxanneI think as we age, a little light foundation definately helps.  I'm fond of Clinique's Repair Wear Shade 3 which is neither yellow or blue. They also have powder that won't make your face white in a photograph.

I am the lightest olive you have ever seen.  They used me as the "Color Me Beautiful' draping model at the top salon here.  I turn as green as an avocado! when I am draped with yellow green.

Teaching Interior Design and having some of the highest classes in the stage I rely on the color wheel as designers do. I was the top designer at two stores after teaching and quit the position I loved because I wasn't supported by mgt when I was having  problems with a toxic co worker.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in total black all of the time. I am blonde and fair and 79 I love black!  But I do look great in navy,since my eyes are very blue.........lol  but I never wear it

Honored Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Ladies, I was not trying to start a riot! I had my colors done and found out that I am a "soft summer", and black and dark colors apparently overwhelm and wash out this "season". You can disagree or argue I am just asking what everyone thinks of this idea to encourage fashion discussion. 

Right, but that has nothing to do with age. It has to do with your coloring. It's the same reason why I looked like ****** as a blonde and I can't wear pastels or dusty shades yet black looks wonderful as do neon brights that most people think are too bright. It's all about your skin tone ( and not your makeup). 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval