Trusted Contributor

If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

Midnight navy and black are too harsh for me now at 50, but I still have a few tops in black that I haven't parted with. I wonder if I should?

Honored Contributor

Re: If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

Frequently, the thought never crossed my mind not to.

Trusted Contributor

Not sure I really understand the question.  What does wearing black tops have to do with age?  I am mid 60's and have been wearing black and all sorts of other colored tops my entire life and don't intend to stop.  

Honored Contributor

I rarely do, but I also rarely wore black when I was younger also.  All that talk about LBD"s and crisp white shirts we see so often in glossy magazines?  They never were talking to me.  Just not pretty colors for me.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't get rid of them.  They go under tops and act as a canvas for scarves.  I don't know your colors, but an attractive combination is a yellow jacket, black top and white pants.  Very pretty.  You could change the jacket color to green, orange, chocolate, vertually any color.

Honored Contributor

I wear black and navy tops all the time.  I won't wear pastels.

Honored Contributor

Yes. But I have rarely worn black alone at any age. It washes me out. I usually add some color.

Esteemed Contributor

If you could see my closet, you would conclude that black is my favorite color. Never giving it up!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I understand why you are asking this question as it is known that wearing black as you age makes one look older.  I wear more colors now than I did when I was younger.  I have more black Summer tops than Winter ones.  In the Winter months I'm more prone to wear colors but I will top them with a black jacket.

Respected Contributor

No. I do not even own a black top. No black eyeliner either as it is also harsh looking on my pale skin.